Emergency Evacuation of the Disabled
Faculty and supervisory staff who have disabled people under their direction shall meet with them as soon as possible to discuss evacuation procedures in case of fire or other emergency.
- Assist in the evacuation of disabled (blind, hearing impaired, etc.) and temporarily disabled (crutches, leg braces, etc.) persons.
- Provide an escort to accompany him/her.
Wheelchair Dependent Persons:
- Do not use elevators, unless directed to do so by the fire or police department.
- Protect individual(s) in place, until rescue personnel arrive.
- A prearranged escort should proceed with the individual to the nearest safe stairway.
- Once the stairs are clear of other evacuating people, enter the stairway and remain on the landing near the door.
- If the stairway becomes smoke filled or unsafe, move back into the building and proceed to another usable stairway or safe area. If no phone is available, try to wave a coat or similar large object out a window to gain attention.
- Faculty and staff who have mobility restricted individuals under their direction must notify police and fire authorities of the location of these people. This should be done in person, outside of the building.