Earth Sciences Program
Experience the Earth Sciences in a beautiful, natural setting. Our program is based around student-centered field work, backed by excellent lab facilities with professional software and an excellent teaching faculty.
Adams State is set in the Rio Grande Rift Valley, in between the outdoor laboratories of the San Juan and Sangre de Cristo mountains, with natural features such as Wheeler Geologic Area and the Great Sand Dunes.
The Earth Sciences Program houses an advanced Geographic Information Systems (GIS) laboratory and offers opportunities for professional software training, and for incorporating GIS and remote sensing technology into course work.
Earth Science program features:
- Excellent teaching faculty
- Soils research laboratory
- Small classes
- World travel opportunity, planned trips include Iceland and the Northern Alps.
- Advanced Geographic Information Systems (GIS) laboratory. Opportunities for professional software training. GIS and remote sensing technology is incorporated into course work.
Programs of Study
- Physical Geography
- Environmental Science
- Science Education - NCATE approved program
- Earth Science major and minors
- Involved with Earth week and ASU Cares Day
- Travels to Earth Science Conferences
Geology & Physical Geography Careers
- Bureau of Land Management
- Petroleum and Mining related fields
- United States/Colorado Geological Survey
- Geotechnical assessment
- Environment Manager
- Forestry Technician
- Geographic Information System (GIS) Specialist
- Soil Conservationist
- Regional Geographer
- Naturalist in Park Service
- Secondary Education
- Urban and Regional Planner