Students desiring to enroll in the Master of Arts in Music Education degree program must:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree in music from an accredited institution of higher education, OR
- Hold a baccalaureate degree in another subject AND have completed a state licensure program in music, OR
- Hold a baccalaureate degree in another subject AND have earned a passing grade on a state standardized licensure exam in music or music education, such as the Program for Licensing Assessments for Colorado Music Educators (PLACE), the Praxis exam, etc.
Steps for Admission
- Complete the:
- Pay an application fee of $30.
- Once the online application is completed please send ALL other documents to Tracy Doyle, Director of the Music Ed Masters Program via e-mail @ email@example.com. E-mail is preferred, however, you may send via US Postal service to the address at the bottom at the page.
- Send a letter of intent (statement of purpose) describing interests, background, the emphasis of interest, and professional goals. Include a brief teaching philosophy summary. The letter will be used to assess writing skills for eligibility into the program.
- Send in a complete resume including academic, teaching, and professional musical experience.
- Send unofficial transcripts (After acceptance, students need to have an official transcript sent directly from the institution to the ASU Office of Graduate Studies verifying receipt of the Bachelor's Degree. Transcripts from ASU need not be requested; however, official transcripts confirming transfer courses are required.).
- Include 2 letters of reference with contact information for those references.
- Students applying to the combined online/on-campus program with a concentration in performance or conducting will audition in person or submit an audition CD/DVD.
- Students applying to the combined online/on-campus program with a concentration in composition will submit representative original compositions with their application.
- Students must have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0, the last 30 credit hours of the baccalaureate degree.
- Those with a GPA lower than 3.0 will be conditionally admitted until after the first semester at which time evidence is provided as to the ability to do graduate level work.
Adams State University
208 Edgemont Blvd
Alamosa, CO 81101