Symphony Orchestra at ASU
The San Luis Valley Symphony is composed of professional musicians, ASU students and community members. Enrollment is open to ASU string, brass, woodwind, keyboard and percussion students. Music from the standard orchestral repertoire is studied and performed each semester such as works by Beethoven, Haydn and Dvorak and Tchaikovsky.
2013-2014 San Luis Valley Symphony Concerto Competition Rules
1. Open to members of the San Luis Valley Symphony during the 2013-2014 season.
2. Repertoire: The first movement of a standard work for solo instrument and orchestra, about 5 to 15 minutes in length. A complete work can be used if it fits that time frame.
3. Factors that the decision will be based on will include musicianship, technique, memorization, readiness to perform with orchestra and appropriateness of the repertoire. The expense and difficulty of the orchestra parts may also be taken into consideration.
4. Auditionees must provide their own accompanist to play the orchestral reduction for the audition and a copy of the music for the judges. Any markings that would identify anyone’s name should be covered.
5. Memorization is required.
6. The decision of the judges will be final. The judges may not chose a winner if none is
deemed ready to perform with orchestra but will be encouraged to award one.
7. Winners may not audition again for three years.
8. Audition date: tentatively set for November 4, 2013, from 6:00pm – 8:00pm. Audition date and time subject to change, if necessary.
9. Those wishing to audition should email the auditionee's name, email address, phone number, composer and title of work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted after Sept. 1, 2013, and the application deadline is October 15, 2013.
10. The winner will perform on either a fall or spring concert, to be decided by the conductor in consultation with the soloist, but will probably be during Spring 2014.