Bachelor of Arts in Sociology with Corrections Emphasis Degree RequirementsAll requirements for the distance degree program are the same as those for the same degree on the campus. Distance degree program students are subject to all ASU policies, deadlines and graduation requirements, except where noted.
- You will be required to complete 30 Adams State University semester credits which may be met by completing ASU Independent study or online courses approved and listed on the website or other publications.
- Course credits earned through the distance degree program are entered on the student record without distinction between on-campus and off campus courses.
- ASU credits earned in off-campus course are considered to be the same as those earned in on-campus courses for the purpose of meeting residency or other requirements in degree programs of the institution.
Writing ProficiencyAll students must submit a writing portfolio to the Department Chair by the end of the seventh week of the next-to-last semester prior to graduation.
Degree Program Total Credit Requirements
- General Education - 38 credits
- Major - Sociology - 29 credits
- Sociology Electives - 6 credits
- Corrections Emphasis - 30 credits
- General Electives - 17 credits
Sociology majors must complete the following 29 hours of core courses:*LS 225: Research Skills for the Behavioral Sciences - 1 cr. hr.
SOC 201: Sociological Imagination - 3 cr. hrs.
SOC 245: Criminology - 3cr. hrs.
SOC 251: Social Problems/Social Welfare Strategies - 3 cr.hrs.
SOC 311: Social Statistics - 4 cr. hrs.
SOC 318: Race, Class And Gender - 3 cr. hrs.
SOC 395: Pre-Professional Seminar - 2 cr. hrs.
SOC 401: Social Psychology- 3 cr. hrs.
SOC 445: Sociological Theory- 3cr. hrs.
SOC 455: Sociological Research Methods- 4 cr. hrs.
* LS 225 Research Skills for the Behavioral Sciences (1) is a prerequisite for SOC 245 and SOC 251.
Sociology Elective Courses must be from the following: 6 creditsSOC 315: Sociology of Education- 3 cr. hrs.
SOC 320: Marriages and Families - 3 cr. hrs.
SOC 379: Special Topics in Sociology - 3 cr. hrs.
SOC 419: Gender and Society - 3 cr. hrs.
SOC 425: Environment and Society - 3 cr. hrs.
SOC 444: Deviance and Social Control - 3 cr. hrs.
SOC 479: Special Topics in Sociology- 3 cr. hrs.
- For students choosing the Criminology emphasis; SOC 352, SOC 370, and SOC 470 are available as Sociology electives
- For students choosing the Social Welfare emphasis; SOC 346, SOC 347, and SOC 447 are available as Sociology electives
Corrections Emphasis: 30 creditsSOC 346: Criminal Justice - 3 cr. hrs.
SOC 347: Juvenile Delinquency- 3 cr. hrs.
SOC 447: Correctional Systems- 3 cr. hrs.
SOC 494: Internship in Criminology- 3 cr. hrs.
CRJ 301: Correctional Institution Organization & Management- 3 cr. hrs.
CRJ 403: Comparative Criminal Justice- 3 cr. hrs.
CRJ 409: Current Issues in Criminal Justice Administration - 3 cr. hrs.
Plus 9 hours of CRJ/SOC 300/400 level courses approved by the student’s advisor.