Patron Placed Holds
Patron Placed Holds (PPH) are similar to Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Requests. Both are ways of obtaining materials not owned by the ASU library.
Differences between PPH and ILL
- PPH works only to borrow materials from those libraries which are members of Prospector. Prospector is a group of academic, public, and school libraries located throughout Colorado, plus the University of Wyoming. Marmot libraries are a part of Prospector. In contrast, ILL can obtain items from thousands of libraries across the United States.
- PPH can be used to borrow books, videos, and DVDs; however, it cannot be used to obtain copies of articles. ILL can obtain not only books, videos, and DVDs, but it can also be used to obtain copies of articles from newspapers, magazines, and journals.
- PPH is sometimes faster than ILL. This is because the library patron (that's you) places the order directly, and it's immediately in the system. In contrast, ILL requests go to the ILL Librarian who then processes the requests.
How to use PPH
- Go into the ASU catalog to see if your desired item is available at Adams State University . If so, use the ASU copy rather than PPH.
- Go into Prospector.
- Search for the item you would like to borrow.
- Click on the "Request It" icon. (If you are using the older version of Prospector, these steps will be slightly different.)
- When asked, "With which library you affiliated?" select Adams State University.
- Type in your name and library card number (begins 401).
- Click on "Submit" button.
- If asked, select the copy you would like to borrow. This happens only for multiple item or volume sets. Click on "Request Selected Item."
- Read the information on the screen to make sure your request was successful.
- Wait for the item to come in.
- When it comes in, you will be notified by e-mail if we have your e-mail address. Otherwise, you will be notified by mail.
- Come to the circulation desk on the first floor of the library to pick up your item. Remember to bring your library card with you.
- View your Marmot account information in either the VuFind or Classic version.
- Type in your name and library card number (begins with 401).
- If you are in VuFind Marmot, locate the title you wish to renew and click on "Renew Item" to the right of the title. Look at that title again, to make sure the renewal was successful.
- If you are in Classic Marmot, click on the line that shows the number of items you currently have checked out. Click in the small box to the left of the item(s) you which to renew. Click on the "Renew Selected Items" icon.
- IMPORTANT -- Read the screen to see if the renewal was granted. Renewals are not always available for PPH items. The renewal policy is set by the library that owns the item.
Contact Glenda Geu at (719) 587-7581