Free tax service to qualifying individuals
For the fifth year, Adams State University School of Business, Trinidad State Junior College Valley Campus, and The Piton Foundation are providing free tax service to qualifying individuals starting January 29. If your family's income is under $50,000, IRS-certified college students can save you hundreds of dollars you'd pay to file, and make sure you get all the tax credits you're due.
From February 1 through March 17, Adams State's free tax site is open from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. every Saturday and 4 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. every Monday, in the Business School lobby, Third St. and Richardson Ave.
From January 29 through March 26, TSJC Valley Campus free tax site is open every Wednesday from 4 p.m. until 8 p.m. in room 216, located at 1011 Main St. The site will be closed on March 19. Also, the site will be open from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Saturday, March 29.
If you make less than $50,000 and have children at home, the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit can reduce the income tax you owe and mean a much bigger refund—up to $6,000 or more!
Make sure to bring the following documents with you to the tax site:
- All W-2, 1099s and other income-related documents.
- Proof of mortgage interest, property taxes, daycare payments, charitable contributions and all other tax-deductible expenses.
- For college expenses: In addition to Form 1098T from your college, you must bring your own records of expenses paid for tuition, books, fees and supplies.
- Social Security Cards (or ITINs) for all family members. Photo I.D. required.
- A copy of last year's tax return, if available.
- Bank account number and routing number to direct deposit your refund. With direct deposits, refunds take just 10–14 days.
- If eligible for Colo. Rent-Heat Rebate: 2013 rent receipts and heating bills.
For more details and the locations of all free tax sites in Colorado, dial 2-1-1, a free call, or visit www.piton.org. Cell phone users are encouraged to dial 719-955-0742 for more information.