No showering on Tuesday
Water system disinfection begins at 9 a.m.
No one should use Alamosa tap water after 9 a.m. Tuesday, March, 25, except for flushing toilets. The City of Alamosa will use a high concentration of chlorine to disinfect the municipal water system; people are advised not to shower Tuesday after 9 a.m. After Tuesday, chlorine levels will diminish, so showers should be OK, but quick showers are recommended. Caution should still be used with small children and people with sensitive skin.
Adams State College will remain open, according to Provost Dr. Michael Mumper. Adams State distributed 800 gallons of bottled water to campus resident students on Saturday.
- CONTINUE TO USE BOTTLED WATER. Do NOT drink the water or boil water during the flush! Do NOT brush teeth with tap water.
- Toilets may be used and flushed.
- There will be a very strong oder of chlorine for several days. It will be vital to run taps and flush toilets during this flush, to keep water flowing through the system for complete disinfection.
- Plan for a 14 day process to flush the system completely.
- The water will not be turned off at anytime during this process.
ONCE THE FLUSH HAS BEGUN, DO NOT CONSUME TAP WATER UNTIL NOTIFIED BY THE CITY.
By Julie Waechter