Adams State Rex Center restucco project completed

(10-14-2010)

Standing majestically at the end of Stadium Drive, the Adams State College Rex Activity Center reminds campus and community of the college's honorable beginnings and the many advances made over the years.

Nearly a year ago, the Colorado State Historical Society through the State Historical Fund awarded Adams State a grant to restucco Rex Activity Center. On October 8, Adams State administration, faculty, students, and the Board of Trustees, and community members recognized the completion of the project by mounting a plaque and taking a commemorative group photograph.

The major exterior improvements on Rex Activity Center were completed in the summer. The large-scale project encompassed the complete removal and replacement of the badly weathered stucco coat and returned the beauty of the original textured pattern and color to the landmark building. Exposed brick details were cleaned and repaired. Painting and caulking work to relevant features was also performed to secure the building from weather. Belinda Zink of Fort Collins, formerly of Alamosa, was the project architect. Upscale Builders of Pueblo was the general contractor.

Zink said advance research predicted a long, hard, grueling, messy job removing the old stucco, and "that's exactly what it was." She appreciates UpScale Builders and their workers. "I've never seen lime stucco like this anywhere else and it was not possible to reproduce it." Through extensive experimentation, the stucco craftsmen from TW Stucco were able to achieve a similar effect with modern permanent materials.

"I love the new Rex," Zink said. "The color and texture are perfect."

  Pictured, left to right, top row, Colorado Assistant Attorney General Jessica Salazar; Tim Armstrong, professor of biology; Gigi Darricades, Adams State Board member; Rhonda Borders, chair, City of Alamosa Historic Preservation Advisory Committee; Tawney Becker, Adams State grant writer; Mary Griffin, Adams State Board member; Tammy Lopez, Adams State executive director of the Foundation; Steve Valdez, Adams State Board member; second row, Ramon Montoya, Adams State Board member; David Svaldi, Adams State president; Kat Olance, Adams State director of Luther Bean Museum; LeRoy Salazar, Adams State Board member; Arnold Salazar, Adams State Board member; Kenneth Scally, student trustee; Lisa Chirieleison, president of Adams State AS&F (Photo by Linda Relyea)

Pictured, left to right, top row, Colorado Assistant Attorney General Jessica Salazar; Tim Armstrong, professor of biology; Gigi Darricades, Adams State Board member; Rhonda Borders, chair, City of Alamosa Historic Preservation Advisory Committee; Tawney Becker, Adams State grant writer; Mary Griffin, Adams State Board member; Tammy Lopez, Adams State executive director of the Foundation; Steve Valdez, Adams State Board member; second row, Ramon Montoya, Adams State Board member; David Svaldi, Adams State president; Kat Olance, Adams State director of Luther Bean Museum; LeRoy Salazar, Adams State Board member; Arnold Salazar, Adams State Board member; Kenneth Scally, student trustee; Lisa Chirieleison, president of Adams State AS&F.

The Rex Activity Center is one of twelve buildings designated to Alamosa's Historic Registry. Because Alamosa is recognized by the State of Colorado as a Certified Local Government (CLG), listed properties are eligible for grant funding through the State Historical Fund. The local program is housed in the City's Public Works office.

Designed by architect William Bowman and constructed in 1938-39 as a Public Works Administration project, Rex Gym is one of the oldest buildings on campus and an excellent example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture. The Marvel House (president's residence; built 1931-32) and Richardson Hall (built 1924) were also designed by Bowman.

Named for local dentist Dr. Clifford P. Rex, who was a member of the ASC Board of Trustees of State Normal Schools from 1925-1949, the building celebrated its 70th anniversary last year. Rex played a significant role in the history of Adams State College and the valley. He was among many Alamosa citizens who contributed to building funds for Richardson Hall. Rex Gym was pivotal in the development of the college's standing in state and regional athletic divisions. It regularly hosted special events for local schools and the community and continues to foster the physical health of ASC students and community members.

By Linda Relyea