U.S. Senate declares Hispanic Serving Institution Week
ASC offers events to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month
The U.S. Senate unanimously passed Senate Resolution 635, which declared Sept. 19-25 as National Hispanic-Serving Institutions Week. Colorado Senator Mark Udall co-sponsored the resolution, which recognizes "the contributions of these institutions, which are at the forefront of service to our nation's youngest and largest ethnic population."
Adams State College is one of the country's 268 federally designated Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSI). The designation requires a minimum of 25 percent Hispanic enrollment. Adams State's Hispanic enrollment is 32 percent, up 3 percent over 2009.
"We value the effort of Senator Udall and other resolution sponsors to raise awareness of the important work being done by Adams State and other HSIs to provide higher education access to underserved populations," said Dr. David Svaldi, president of Adams State College.
The resolution notes: "Hispanic-serving institutions play an important role in educating many underprivileged students and helping those students attain their full potential through higher education." It also states: "Hispanic-serving institutions are actively involved in stabilizing and improving the communities in which the Hispanic-serving institutions are located."
Adams State's new organization, CASA (Cultural Awareness Student Achievement), is celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month by presenting several events through mid-October.
The college food service, Sodexo, is offering Hispanic food and special events in the cafeteria through Sept. 30. Additional events this week are free and open to the public. These will be held in the ASC Student Union Building on First St.
Hispanic Heritage Month at ASC
- Sept. 29 Movie Night: "Mi Familia/My Family" SUB Loft 6:30 p.m. (refreshments available)
- Oct. 2 Flamenco Guitarist/Dancer- Ronaldo Baca SUB Food Court 7- 8:30 p.m. (refreshments available) Read more.
- Oct.3 Mass in Spanish Student Life Center (SUB) 7p.m. (food fiesta to follow)
- Oct. 6 Information table and T-shirt give away Sponsored by Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU) and Cultural Awareness Student Achievement (CASA) SUB Solarium 11 a.m-3 p.m.
- Oct. 14 Block Party SUB Food Court 7-9 p.m. (refreshments available)
By Julie Waechter