The Need for STAY
- CDHE Statewide Remedial Education Policy requires students to complete developmental coursework within the first 30 credits.
- The ASU retention rate from 2007 to 2008 of students who were in two or more developmental courses is 33 percent (the overall retention undergraduate rate is 60 percent).
- Under-prepared students waste time, effort and money retaking gen eds they were not prepared for the first go-round.
- Placement test scores are required at all Colorado institutions of higher education. Currently, many students are placed into developmental courses without any test scores.
- Many ASU academic departments are not allowing students in 100- to 400-level courses until students have completed all developmental requirements and are prepared. For example, registration for BIOL 203, 204 and 205 requires a student to be qualified to enroll in ENG 101 and MATH 104 or 106.