Off-Campus Eligibility & Exemptions
ASU Housing Exemption Policy
The university requires that all freshmen and sophomore students live in the residence halls except as excused for definite reasons expressed in writing and approved by the Director of Auxiliary Services. Exceptions to the on-campus policy are as follows:
- If you are a veteran of the armed forces; or
- If you are married; or
- If you are a single parent; or
- If you are 21 years of age or older; or
- If you are a part-time student (enrolled for 9 hours or less per semester); or
- If you are residing at the permanent address in the San Luis Valley of your parents, stepparents, legal guardian, or immediate relative (immediate relative is defined as grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers, and sisters, age 21 or older); or
- If you have obtained junior class standing since the preceding semester; or
- If you have resided in the residence halls for four semesters but have not obtained junior class status; or
- If you are medically excusable as determined by the Director of Auxiliary Services**; or
- If you have obtained a minimum of 30 credit hours and have maintained a minimum 3.50 cumulative grade point average.
**Do you have a medical condition that may require you to be exempted from the on-campus requirement?
**Do you have a medical condition that may require you to be exempted from the meal plan?
NOTE: All paperwork and supporting documentation must be received before classes begin. Requests submitted after the commencement of classes, if approved, will see charges reduced according to the University refund schedule. ASU will notify student of decision via an email to his/her ASU email account.