The purpose of ACCUPLACER tests is to provide you with useful information about your academic skills in Mathematics and English. The results of the assessment, in conjunction with your academic background, goals, and interests, are used by academic advisors and counselors to determine your course selection.
You cannot "pass" or "fail" the placement tests; however, it is very important that you do your very best on these tests so that you will have an accurate measure of your academic skills.
Students taking the ACCUPLACER are allowed to take the exam free of charge twice within their first semester. Additional attempts during this semester or thereafter will be subject to a fee. Students are allowed to use scratch paper and pencils but no calculator, cell phone, or any other applications/electronics for this exam. The ACCUPLACER is not timed but on average can take anywhere from 20-30 minutes per section. Each section consists of 14-24 questions with instant results.
Find out more about the ACCUPLACER tests - get tips and see sample questions:
Once you have completed the ACCUPLACER, your scores will indicate your Reading, Writing, and/or Mathematics placement. The GTLC staff will go over each test score with you to discuss your possible placement. Once you have taken the ACCUPLACER, the next step is to meet with your academic advisor to get registered for classes.
GTLC Testing Policy & Procedures
- Adhere to all re-testing policies as noted below
- Schedule an exam time to ensure testing room and computer availability
- Testing for ACCUPLACER begins at 8:30
am during normal hours and 9:30 am during breaks.
- Administration stops at 4 pm during normal hours and 3 pm during breaks.
- Present a valid photo ID with a clear picture and ASU student ID number
- Present receipt, if applicable
- Secure all personal belongings and unauthorized testing aids including cell phones and other electronic devices
Students who re-test on any section of the ACCUPLCER must adhere to the following wait times:
- Elementary Algebra: 30 days in between exam attempts
- Writing/Sentence Skills: as a viable alternative to an ACCUPLACER re-test for writing, ASU students need to take the:
- Students who re-test on any section of the ACCUPLACER may be assessed a fee, to be paid prior to exam time
- First-semester students (first-time or transfer) will be provided with two free exam attempts
- Second-semester students and beyond will be assessed a $5 exam fee for each section thereafter: i.e. Math: $5, Math/Reading: $10, Math/Reading/Writing: $15