Faculty may refer or require students to use the Studio in a variety of ways.
The Director or Writing Studio staff can:
- provide brief talks introducing students to our services
- provide tours of the Studio services to your class--just call and schedule
- provide you with materials or discuss strategies for assigning, evaluating and improving student writing in your discipline
- collaborate with faculty (the director's teaching schedule permitting) on providing an in-class writing workshop during which your students can work on drafts of assigned papers with our guidance and carefully designed peer editing
- provide grammar handbooks and other writing resources and handouts
- "carry" copies of your writing-related texts and assignments for your student use in the Studio
- share with your students copies of your assignment and information about your writing standards and expectations if you send those to us.
- recommend ways to incorporate a Studio visit into your assignment or the grading. For example, you might use a sliding scale if you assign extra credit to a student who visits. You could give 5 extra points if they visit three or more days before an assignment’s due; 3 extra points if they visit two days before it’s due; 1 point if they visit the day before.