What is at the Studio?
- Tutors who are trained peers, graduate students and faculty volunteers
- College-standard networked pc computers and printers.
- Books and handouts on grammar, documentation, writing processes and paper organization available for checkout.
- Latest college grammar handbook and course writing guides, up-to-date documentation guides for MLA, APA, Chicago and CBE, at minimum.
How to Use the Studio
- Before you visit, please consider the two or three most important items or issues you would like to cover. You are in charge; we will start where you want to begin.
- You may drop in to work with a tutor, to use the computers and books, or to gather other resources without an appointment.
- You may drop by to schedule an appointment.
- You may call or e-mail to schedule an appointment or to ask a question.
- You determine whether or not we should notify a professor that you have worked in the Studio. Some faculty require or refer students to come to the Studio but the decision to notify a professor is always yours.
- Writing sessions generally last about 30 minutes and are on a first-come, first-served basis unless you have scheduled an appointment.
- We spend time discussing the assignment or purpose of your writing and your concerns.
- We can help you get started developing and organizing your ideas.
- Once you have a draft, we respond to the clarity and content of your writing.
- We help you to identify patterns of errors and to learn how to avoid those errors.
- If papers are polished, we assist you in a final review and in proofreading skills.
- We can provide instruction on any stage of the writing process.
- Because of high demand or time constraints, we may not be able to cover every item you wanted to, so please make another appointment before you leave.
- And finally, let us know how we did. We have survey forms you can fill out, or, if you prefer, you may contact the director, Dr. Robert Affeldt at email@example.com or at 587-8169. Unless you say otherwise, he will treat all communications confidentially.