Community for Inclusion, Equity, Leadership & Opportunity
The Community for Inclusion, Equity, Leadership, and Opportunity, CIELO, is comprised of all campus members who choose to take up this work. We collaborate on bringing inclusivity projects to reality. If you want to join in, look for working group meetings throughout the year.
Vision: CIELO leads and supports actions that transform ASU into a model for inclusive excellence by promoting inclusivity, equity, cultural responsiveness, diversity, and community engagement.
Mission: Through reflection, self-assessment, and collective leadership, CIELO advocates to eradicate structural barriers to equity and inclusion throughout our campus community.
- Provide opportunities to develop ourselves as equity-minded practitioners who are willing to engage in the necessary, and sometimes difficult, conversations and decision making that can lead to transformational change for student learning and achievement.
- Support campus activities that promote inclusive excellence and cultural responsiveness
- Promote and celebrate the history and culture of the SLV and the upper Rio Grande region and build positive, intentional relationships in the region.
- Our students—resilient, diverse, and successful
- Our role as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI)
- Allies and Advocacy—sustaining a collective leadership structure, respecting the leadership of all who take up this work
- Deepening our personal awareness and responsibility around bias, equity, and institutional change
- Evidence-based decision making that is balanced with multiple ways of achieving Inclusive Excellence
- Creating safe spaces for courageous and difficult conversations
- SLV cultural heritages and the richness of our place
CIELO Initiatives: Invitations to Collaborate
CIELO is open to all members of campus. It’s held as an open group for people to come in and out as they are able. CIELO gives our entire community an opportunity for fellowship and to have conversations centered on diversity, equity, and inclusivity.
What Can You Do?
- Contact Matthew Valverde, email@example.com, to be added to the CIELO Google Group
- Come to our Working Group Meetings and our Kindred Spirits Luncheons, view the Diversity Calendar
- Participate in the ASU Equity Retreat
President’s Advisory Group on Equity
PAGE is a steering committee for CIELO.
PAGE Current Members
- Dr. Matthew Valverde, Assistant Professor of Voice, Inclusive Excellence Liaison, and Chair of PAGE
- Dr. Courtney Allen, Assistant Professor of Counselor Education
- Tawney Becker, Grant Specialist
- Andréa Benton-Maestas, Title V PPOHA Grant Activity Director
- Jeni Carter, Director of Co-Curricular Recreation and Engagement
- Dr. James Doyle, Associate Professor of Music
- Dr. Kristy Duran, Professor of Biology
- Marcella Garcia, Title V Caminos & Unidos Grants Activity Director
- Dr. Katie Kottemann, Assistant Professor of English
- Oneyda Maestas, CASA Coordinator & Student Advocate
- Chris Olance, Manager of Support Services
- Dr. Nick Saenz, Associate Professor of History
- Dr. Heidi Schneider, Assistant Professor of Sociology
- Anna Torello, Title V Conexiones & Unidos Activity Grant Director