A psychological crisis exists when an individual is threatening to harm him/herself or others, or is out of touch with reality due to severe drug/alcohol reaction or a psychotic breakdown. A psychotic breakdown may be manifested by delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech, uncontrollable behavior, or catatonic behavior.
If a psychological crisis occurs:
- Never try to handle a situation you feel is dangerous on your own.
- Notify Police Dispatch at 589-5807.
- Clearly state that you need immediate assistance, give your name, location and phone number.
- In extreme emergencies, call 9-1-1.
- Contact the Campus Health and Safety committee as a follow up after the incident at Counseling Center. Click on "Concern Form" in the upper right-hand corner.
- ASU Counseling Center (719) 587-7746
- SLV Mental Health Center (719) 589-3671 (24-hour emergency number)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255)