ASU English Placement Policy
Students entering Adams State University with an ACT English score less than 19 (less than 431 SAT verbal score) are required by the State of Colorado to take the ACCUPLACER Sentence Skills exam prior to their first day of classes. Students who do not score at the appropriate level on this examination or pass the Essay Placement Exam administered by the English department must successfully complete ENG 096 within their first 30 credit hours at ASU.
Scores for English Course Placement
ENG 096: College Preparatory Reading and Writing
- ACT English Score: 18 or lower
- SAT Verbal Score: 430 or lower
- ACCUPLACER Sentence Skills Score: 94 or lower
- or EPE (Essay Placement Exam): not passed
ENG 101: Communication Arts I
- ACT English Score: 19 to 28
- SAT Verbal Score: 431 to 659
- ACCUPLACER Sentence Skills Score: 95 or higher
- EPE (Essay Placement Exam): passed
ENG 102: Communication Arts II*
- ACT English Score: 29 or higher
- SAT Verbal Score: 660 or higher
Placement Testing Information
The ACCUPLACER is administered by the Grizzly Testing and Learning Center. No appointment is necessary.
The ACCUPLACER Web Site has test descriptions, tips, sample questions and phone apps with practice tests. If you are required to take any ACCUPLACER exams, we encourage you to prepare and study.
The EPE (Essay Placement Exam) is administered in ENG 096 the first week of class and scored by the English department.