Benefits of Research
- Learning a topic in depth and help clarify career goals
- Gaining skills that employers value
- Building relationships with faculty mentors
- Developing self-confidence
- Gaining research experience to become more marketable to graduate schools
- Improving oral and written skills
- Contributing to new knowledge
How to Engage in Undergraduate Research
- Visit with your professors outside of class
- Ask your professors about research opportunities
- Talk about your ideas to your professors
- Ask about funding opportunities
- Present your research at ASU’s Student Scholar Days or other professional conferences
Communicating Novel Research
- An important aspect of research is communicating results
- Students can submit research papers on their novel research to be published in peer reviewed journals
- Students can present their research at Adams State’s Student Scholar Days in addition to regional and national conferences
Student Scholar Days Presentations
Other Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- In addition to independent research at ASU, students can apply for summer REU programs.
- Students can participate in research in their courses through Course-based Undergraduate Research Experiences (CUREs).
What are CUREs?
- Research embedded in a course
- Students work collaboratively using methodology of the discipline
- All students engage in the research
- Outcomes of research are unknown
- Students communicate outcomes
- CUREs can be short modules to the full semester projects
More information about undergraduate research including funding opportunities can be found at the Council for Undergraduate Research.