Correspondence MBA: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Is Adams State University (ASU) accredited?

Yes, ASU is regionally accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. This is the highest level of accreditation in the United States. The six (6) regional accrediting agencies for post-secondary education in the United States are:

  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools 
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges 
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools 
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities 
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools 
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges

Any post-secondary institution not accredited by one of aforementioned agencies should raise concerns.  


Will my credits transfer to another school?

Transferability of credit is based on the decision of the institution accepting the credits. With our level of accreditation, there is a high likelihood the receiving institution would accept your credits from ASU. Having noted this, it is highly recommended you seek pre-approval of your credits from the college or university you are planning to transfer the credits to for your degree program.

I am interested in your Correspondence MBA Program, but already have some graduate college credits. Will they be accepted into your program?

A maximum of six (6) semester hours of transfer credit from other accredited institutions may be used to fulfill degree requirements. Students must request permission to transfer course work by contacting the MBA advisor. Students must provide official transcripts and course syllabi. Students requesting transfer or substitution of prior coursework must declare so within their first semester of study.

Where do I send my transcripts for the "unofficial" evaluation?

You may request in writing the unofficial evaluation and include copies of your transcripts for review. Please provide contact information such as your mailing address. For this purpose, the transcripts may be unofficial copies, but must be legible. The transcripts and letter should be sent to:

Adams State University
Office of Extended Studies
208 Edgemont Blvd., Suite 3000
Alamosa, CO 81101
Fax: 719-587-7974 Attn: Correspondence MBA Advisor

How Does It Work?

How does the course completion process work?

  1. When you are ready to take a course, you will need to send in a course registration form with payment. Once we process your course registration, we send you a course study guide and syllabus. Books are not included in the price and must be purchased separately. 
  2. The course study guide and syllabus will let you know your assignments and course guidelines. Make sure to read the syllabus and general instructions prior to starting the course. 
  3. From there, you will work on your course and course assignments. 
  4. Some courses require you to take a test. When you are ready to take a test, you will send in an exam request form located in your study guide that will be filled out and signed by you and your proctor. 
  5. Once you have completed and submitted all your required work, you will receive a final grade for the course. 
  6. When your final grade has been posted in our system, you will then receive a mailed complimentary official transcript with your final grade.

How long do I have to complete a course?

You have one full calendar year to complete a course from the date of course registration. 

Can I correspond and get input and feedback from my professor?

Yes. All professors require a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) for correspondence. How to correspond with your professor will be noted in your course syllabus and study guide.


Do you offer a payment plan?

No. Full course tuition payment is required at the time of course registration.

Courses, Registration and Admittance:

How do I become admitted to Adams State and the Correspondence MBA Program?

In order to proceed with admission to our program, you will need to submit an MBA application for admission, resume, letter of intent, and two (2) letters of recommendation. You must have a completed bachelor's degree in order to be admitted into the Correspondence MBA program. We will also need ALL official transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions. Failure to provide ALL official transcripts from all previously attended colleges/universities may delay your admission or result in dismissal or rejection. Transcripts need to be received from withdrawn institutions. Transcripts from ASU need not be requested. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted. The transcripts must be official and must be mailed directly from the previously attended institution to:

Adams State University
Office of Graduate Studies
208 Edgemont Blvd., Suite 2300
Alamosa, CO 81101

What is the GPA requirement to be admitted to the Correspondence MBA Program?

We require at least a 2.75 GPA in all attempted higher education coursework. If the applicant does not have a 2.75 or higher,  the MBA Department may require additional requirements. 

Do I have to be admitted to ASU in order to take correspondence MBA courses?

No. Non-degree seeking students are only allowed to take nine (9) hours of credit. Upon completion of nine (9) hours of credit, the non-degree seeking student will be required to seek formal admission as a degree-seeking student.

Do I have to wait for a new semester or to be fully admitted at ASU?

No. You can apply at any time as we do not have any admission deadlines.

What are the differences between the MBA Application for Admission and the MBA Correspondence Registration forms?

The MBA Application for Admission is only used when you want to become fully admitted into ASU as a MBA degree seeking student. The MBA Correspondence Registration form is used for course registration purposes only and does not require full admission to a degree program.

Statement of Explanation:

Why do I have to write a statement of explanation?

We are required by law and ASU institutional policies to obtain this information only if you wish to become admitted as a degree seeking student to ASU. Your statement in no way will hurt or impact your academic offerings and academic career through the Correspondence MBA Program. We do not need this information if you do not wish to be admitted as a degree seeking student.


Can I earn a Correspondence MBA degree without coming to campus and without the use of a computer and internet?

Yes. ASU has a long history of offering print-based correspondence courses to incarcerated individuals throughout the United States. Therefore, we completely understand the restrictions and challenges you currently face.


What are the costs?

The current cost of a correspondence MBA course is $350 per semester credit. The cost of textbooks is not included in the course tuition. Textbooks can be purchased from the ASU Bookstore or through any vendor of your choice. It is strongly advised you consult with your facility regarding book guidelines before you place your book order.

Do I have to pay for the whole program at one time?

No. Each course is paid for separately.

Financial Aid:

Is financial aid available?

Congress removed federal financial educational aid for incarcerated individuals when the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act passed in 1994. Therefore, no federal aid in the form of Pell Grants or guaranteed loans is available to students in state or federal correctional facilities. If you are a veteran or a child of a veteran, you may be eligible for veteran's educational benefits. Most incarcerated students utilize private sources of funding to pay for their education. This can include funding from savings, family members, supporters, Tribes, church groups, non-profit organizations, etc.

Upon release from federal or state prison, you may be eligible for federal aid. You must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at In addition, you must be admitted to a degree seeking program. Again, just remember that you cannot use or access any Pell Grant or federal student loan funds while you are incarcerated.

Veterans/GI Bill:

Do you accept the GI Bill?

Yes. All questions regarding GI Bill funding should to go to our VA Clerk. You can reach the VA Clerk at:

Adams State University
Veterans Clerk, Records Office
208 Edgemont Blvd.
Alamosa, CO 81101
Phone: 719-587-7322


Will I be able to contact my advisor if I have questions?

Yes. You will have a dedicated advisor and will be provided with your advisor's telephone number, mailing address, and e-mail address. Your advisor will answer any questions you may have and will assist you with mapping out the completion of your degree.

Because I have limited access to communication, can a family member or friend correspond with ASU for me?

Yes. When you are admitted, you will be provided with a Third Party Release/Authorization to Release Educational Information form which will allow you to designate whom you authorize ASU to release your student educational information to.


How will I obtain my textbooks?

Upon registration you will receive a course study guide and syllabus. These documents will note what book(s) are required or recommended for the course. Although you are not required to purchase books through the ASU bookstore, the ASU bookstore can provide you with all textbook information for courses. It is strongly advised you consult with your facility regarding book guidelines before you place your book order. You may reach the bookstore at:

Adams State University
208 Edgemont Blvd.
Alamosa, CO 81101
Phone: 800-548-6679 ext. 7981


Will I need a proctor?

Yes. A proctor can be anyone employed by the Department of Corrections. You will receive proctor guidelines in your course study guide. Please let us know if you would like proctor guidelines before you register for a course.


Can I get help from the ASU librarian?

Yes. You can write the librarian for help on research articles. Please make sure to include your full name and student ID number. Please write to:

Distance Education Librarian
Nielsen Library
Adams State University
208 Edgemont Blvd., Suite 4010
Alamosa, CO 81101
Phone: 719-587-7174


What are the requirements to graduate?

A minimum cumulative scholastic GPA of 3.00 must be earned with the completion of the 36 credit hours to award a MBA degree.

Will my diploma from ASU note that I am incarcerated?

No. You will receive the exact same diploma that is awarded to an on-campus student.

When I complete all my requirements, when will my degree be awarded?

Your degree will be awarded at the end of the semester in which you complete your final courses. You will work with your advisor to complete the necessary graduation documents needed to apply for graduation in the term that you plan to complete all coursework required for your degree.

Can I get help after I graduate?

We have a Career Services Coordinator whose goal is to prepare students and alumni to successfully navigate the job search.


How long has Adams State been around?

Adams State University was founded in 1921 as a teacher's college, but now offers a variety of programs including Master degrees in many fields. Billy Adams, a Colorado legislator who would later become a 3-term governor of Colorado, worked for three decades before obtaining the authorization to found Adams State Normal School in 1921. His goal was to provide higher education opportunities for teachers from remote and rural areas of Colorado and see them work in those same areas such as the San Luis Valley.

How long have you worked with incarcerated students?

We have worked with incarcerated students for over 20 years.

Various Questions:

Will I earn semester or quarter credits?

You will earn semester credits.

How many courses can I take at one time?

You can take up to 15 credit hours per semester.

What if I am moved or released from my correctional facility while I am enrolled in a course?

If you are moved while in our program, simply let us know your new address in writing so that we may change our records. It is highly recommended to notify your instructor of the move as soon as possible. In some cases, an extension can be requested from and approved by your instructor. Extensions are based on the decision of the instructor of the course.

How do correspondence MBA courses appear on the ASU transcript?

Credit earned through correspondence is listed on your transcript exactly as an on-campus course would.