MA Counselor Education - Graduate Admission RequirementsStudents desiring to enroll in a Master's Degree program in the Department of Counselor Education must hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. Students enrolled in the final year of undergraduate study may be admitted to graduate study pending verification of receipt of the baccalaureate degree.
Deadlines & Cohort Information
Prospective candidates must have all application materials submitted by the following deadlines per semester for consideration:
- Fall Deadline - July 1
- Spring Deadline - December 1
- Summer Deadline - April 1
MA Counselor Education on-campus / Alamosa cohorts begin each Fall semester only.
MA Counselor Education online cohorts begin every Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
A candidate who is interested in enrolling at Adams State University to pursue a Master of Arts degree in Counselor Education must:
1. Complete the online application:
2. Pay the $30 non-refundable application fee.
3. Submit ALL supplemental admission documents online:
These documents include:
- Personal Statement - addressing the following topics: career goals as related to counseling, potential for forming effective counseling relationships, and respect for cultural differences. The statement should be minimum 3-5 pages in length, typed, and double-spaced.
- Two (2) recent letter of recommendation forms from professional sources addressing the ability of the applicant to become a counselor OR contact information from associates who can speak to the applicant's academic strengths and potential.
4. Send ALL official transcripts from previously attended institutions.
Transcripts from ASU need not be requested. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted. International transcripts must be evaluated by an approved international credential evaluator (link to graduate international website once created). Please have all official transcripts sent directly from the institutions to:
firstname.lastname@example.org (for electronic official transcripts)
Adams State University
Office of Graduate Studies
208 Edgemont Blvd., Suite 2300
Alamosa, CO 81101
5. Download and read the:
- Additional information may be requested by the Department of Counselor Education before an admission decision can be determined.
- The Chair of the Department of Counselor Education will notify students of admission decisions.