Adams Wilderness Orientation Program
Adams Wilderness Orientation Program is an important step in preparing for your upcoming first year experience at Adams State University. The purpose of our program is to provide an enhanced orientation experience for incoming students.
If you love the outdoors, adventure, and exploring new & exciting things, then this is an experience for you! No previous wilderness experience needed in order to participate; all that’s required is a positive outlook, a willingness to participate, and good physical health.
All of our staff members are highly trained students from our Adventure Leadership &
Programming Minor, who have gained technical, educational, and human skills through
experiential education in our programs.
The leaders of each trip are selected for their:
- Commitment to safety
- Ability to exercise strong judgment and decision making
- Love for working directly with students
- Passion for creating memorable experiences in a wilderness context
- Establish & build relationships: build friendships and become a member of a community which will last past your college career.
- Growth & goal setting: time and space for spiritual and emotional reflection; goal setting regarding the transition into college life.
- Personal & environmental stewardship: be given time with student leaders to gain insight and mentorship regarding yourself and the world around you.
- Adventure & wilderness skills: share an amazing and memorable experience in a wilderness setting while building proficiency in the skills necessary to pursue activities on your own.
Backpacking: San Juan Mountains - Weminuche Wilderness Area
August 14th -16th
- Cost per person: $130, cost includes transportation, equipment rental, and food.
- Registration: begins March 1. Space is limited so register early. A $50 nonrefundable deposit is due upon registration, remaining balance due July 29, 2017.
Consider joining us as we explore the natural beauty of the Weminuche Wilderness! Our backpacking Wilderness Orientation Trip takes students on an amazing three day trip through unspoiled wilderness in southwestern Colorado. This backpacking trip is meant for the individual that does not have much experience, but doesn’t mind carrying everything with them on these easy to moderate trails near the Continental Divide. Our trips leaders will teach participants all that is needed to gain a basic understanding of living out of your backpack, so that you will be able to head out on adventures of your own! So come enjoy the sights of unspoiled wilderness, amazing animals & landscapes, and the best food you would have never thought you could cook away from home.
If weather, forest fire or other unforeseen circumstances prevent the use of the Weminuche Wilderness our backup location will be the Phantom Terrace located in the Sangre De Cristo Wilderness near Westcliffe, CO. Although slightly less remote, this area offers all of the spectacular opportunities as the Weminuche Wilderness.
Ready to register? Registration will close Friday, July 29th space is limited so register early.