Front Range Alumni Inducted into Adams State Educators Hall of Fame
Jerry Schloffman, class of ’65 and ’70, and Sally Pique Schulz, class of ’70 were inducted into the Adams State Educators Hall of Fame at a ceremony on June 6, 2023.
Jerry taught at Aurora, Colo., Hinkley High School for 30 years where he taught business, coached wrestling and soccer and was an assistant principal.
Currently Jerry serves as the president of the ASU Alumni Denver Chapter.
Sally Pique Schulz began her elementary teaching career in 1970 and worked for the Jefferson County, Colo., schools for 33 years, teaching all but two of those years at Molholm Elementary. She also taught teacher recertification courses for Adams State.
In 2022, Carey Sanchez, class of ’77, was inducted into the ASU Educators Hall of Fame. She still works in education, but she retired after 44 years as a teacher. She now supervises student teachers for Colorado University.
Carey serves as president-elect of the ASU Alumni Denver Chapter.
All Adams State alumni living in the Denver Metro Area and north to the Wyoming border are invited to participate in the following events:
Recruit New Students
College recruiters from every state want Metro-area students to attend their universities. At some events, more than 80 recruiters show up. Michael Cawthra, 1976, leads the Denver Chapter team of recruiters.
They attend college fairs, meet potential students and parents and talk about the benefits of our alma mater. After a training session, you can join us in this effort. Write us an email at email@example.com.
Join a Committee
We invite all Denver Alumni residing in the counties of Adams, Arapahoe, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas and Jefferson. To join a committee, select from below and contact Liz Watts, Denver Chapter president, at Denveralumni@Alumni.Adams.edu.
- Membership – Maintain monthly contact with Adams State University ‘s Alumni Association Services to update contact information of alumni living in the Denver area.
- Scholarship Committee – Plan an annual event in association with Adams State University’s Alumni Association Services and Adams State Foundation to assist in raising scholarship money.
- Recruitment Committee – Work with the Adams State Denver area recruiter to provide alumni willing to participate in presentations to area high school students.
- Athletic Committee – Promote and encourage chapter members to attend all Adams State athletic events held in the Denver metropolitan area. When appropriate, set up and staff a welcoming table for Adams State alumni attending area events.
- Publicity Committee –Promote the activities of chapter and interact with area alumni. For example, the committee may establish and maintain social media sites for the chapter.
- Awards Committee – Identify area alumni that are deserving of recognition for their personal and/or professional accomplishments.
- Nomination Committee – Solicit nominees for officer positions in advance of the annual meeting.
2023 Denver Chapter Officers:
- President – Jerry Schloffman (’65, ’70)
- President Elect – Carey Sanchez (’77)
- Secretary – Wayne Melanson (’69)
- Treasurer – Alfonzo Lopez (’70)
- Member at Large – Barbara Johnston (’77)
- Past President – Jacqueline Archuleta (’11)
- Membership – Bikram Mishra (’15, ’16)
- Scholarship – Liz Watts (’70)
- Recruitment – Michael Cawthra (’76)
- Athletics – Heath Soderstrom (’06)
Mission: The Mission of the Denver Chapter of the Associated Alumni of Adams State University is to reach out to the current alumni, future alumni, and the community throughout the Denver area in order to cultivate loyalty, pride and commitment to Adams State University.