Inclusive ExcellenceDiversity Events Calendar
Adams State is leading and supporting actions that transforms our campus into a model for inclusive excellence by promoting inclusivity, equity, cultural responsiveness, diversity, and community engagement.
The Equity Board is creating a community for inclusion, equity, leadership, and opportunity at Adams State University. We are composed of faculty, staff, and students from across campus who are knowledgeable in issues related to equity, diversity, and inclusion and who have demonstrated a commitment to Adams State’s purpose, vision, and values.
Anti-Racist Positionality Statement for Adams State
We, the community at Adams State University, through reflection, self-assessment, and conversation advocate to eradicate structural barriers to equity and inclusion throughout our campus community. Our goal is to end racial and ethnic discrimination towards all racialized students, faculty and staff, as well as the community at large. Adams State is committed to our students in our role as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI). We seek to sustain a collective leadership structure through allies and advocacy; deepening our personal awareness and responsibility around bias, equity, and institutional change. We commit to engaging in evidence-based decision making, creating safe spaces for courageous and difficult conversations, embracing the SLV cultural heritages, and honoring the richness of our campus community.
We acknowledge that students, alumni, and employees of Adams State University, especially those who are Black, Indigenous, People Of Color (BIPOC) have experienced and have been oppressed by marginalization, silencing, and other damaging practices. We recognize systemic racism as a societal and global problem that requires continuous education and awareness. Furthermore, we understand social and systemic systems can impact outcomes for individuals within BIPOC communities. We recognize that we have not adequately confronted inequities as a society. We unconditionally reject racism in all forms and embrace the institutional change necessary to dismantle systems that perpetuate inequities, disempowerment, and other injustices. Collectively, we recognize regardless of one’s own race or ethnicity, and other intersecting identities, we are all uniquely at different points within our journey to become anti-racist.
As a learning community, we will listen and learn from each other and work to hear and strengthen the voices of individuals who have been marginalized. We will use every opportunity to create lasting change. Everyone deserves to be unconditionally valued, heard, and seen. We call specific attention to race, color, ethnicity and the impact(s) they have on students, alumni, and employees. Our position as an anti-racist institution is the foundation of the pillars supporting the Adams State 2025 Strategic Plan:
- Foster Student Achievement
- Champion Practices for Lifelong Learning & Development
- Advocate for Equity & Inclusion
- Engage in Innovation & Creativity
- Exemplify Operational Excellence
Therefore, we commit to:
1) Acknowledging, without regard to political or social pressures, the historically negative effects of racism on BIPOC.
2) Exploring and correcting systems, processes, or policies within Adams State University that would directly or indirectly promote racism and the marginalization of BIPOC students, faculty, and staff.
3) Providing effective forums and communication channels so our BIPOC students, faculty, and staff may safely and without prejudice voice their concerns and experiences within the Adams State campus.
4) Advocating for change in University infrastructure and policies that would facilitate the hiring of faculty and personnel who reflect the diversity of racial identities of the student body at Adams State University.
5) Promoting anti-racist pedagogy within the classrooms and offering professional development focused on anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion for Adams State faculty and staff.
We hereby declare that Adams State University stands firm in our position to be an anti-racist institution of higher education.
Dr. Heidi Schneider
Inclusive Excellence Liaison
Adams State University
208 Edgemont Blvd Suite 3040
Alamosa, CO 81101