The Equity Board
The Equity Board is creating a community for inclusion, equity, leadership, and opportunity at Adams State University. We are composed of faculty, staff, and students from across campus who are knowledgeable in issues related to equity, diversity, and inclusion and who have demonstrated a commitment to Adams State’s purpose, vision, and values.
Vision: The Equity Board leads actions that transform Adams into a model for inclusive excellence by promoting inclusivity, equity, cultural humility, diversity, and community engagement.
Mission: Through collective leadership and strategic planning, The Equity Board’s mission is to eradicate structural barriers to equity and inclusion throughout our campus community.
Goals: The Equity Board’s goals for the upcoming academic year (FA22-SP23) align with Adams State’s driving purpose “to provide equitable access to education for all” and our vision to “become the university community of choice for diverse, historically underserved groups, and for all who value quality education and inclusivity.” The Equity Board will ensure all people at Adams State have access to resources needed to be successful and thrive. To reach this goal, board members will gather institutional data to identify equity gaps and develop recommendations to the President and Board of Trustees. Recommendations will focus on the mission of academic excellence by diversifying and retaining faculty, staff, and students; encourage departmental and university collaboration to promote the success of all students and employees within an open and supportive intellectual environment.
We will continue to:
- Provide opportunities to develop ourselves as equity-minded practitioners who are willing to engage in the necessary, and sometimes difficult, conversations and decision making that can lead to transformational change for student learning and achievement.
- Support campus activities that promote inclusive excellence and cultural responsiveness
- Promote and celebrate the history and culture of the SLV and the upper Rio Grande region and build positive, intentional relationships in the region.
The Equity Board’s Values
- Our students—resilient, diverse, and successful
- Our role as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI)
- Advocacy—sustaining a collective leadership structure, respecting the leadership of all who take up this work
- Deepening our personal awareness and responsibility around bias, equity, and institutional change
- Evidence-based decision making that is balanced with multiple ways of achieving equity
- Creating safe spaces for courageous and difficult conversations
- SLV cultural heritages and the richness of our place
What Can You Do?
- Contact the Inclusive Excellence Liaison (IEL) Dr. Heidi Schneider, email@example.com
- Come to our Kindred Spirits Luncheons and other equity related programming, view the Diversity Calendar
The Equity Board Current Members
The Equity Board Current Members
- Courtney Allen, Associate Professor of Counselor Education
- Andréa Benton-Maestas, Title V PPOHA Grant Activity Director
- Jeff Gallegos, Administrative Assistant, One Stop Services
- Sandra Gavin, Assistant Professor of Counselor Education, Testing Coordinator
- Kaylee A. Gomez Romero, Director of College Assistance Migrant Program
- Oneyda Maestas, CASA Coordinator and Student Advocate
- Nick Saenz, Professor of History and Interim Special Assistant to the President
- Colleen Schaffner, Director of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Department Chair, Psychology
- Heidi Schneider, Associate Professor of Sociology, Inclusive Excellence Liaison, and Chair of The Equity Board
- Anna Torello, Title V Cornerstone to Capstone Grant Activity Director
- Billy J. Ulibarrí, Assistant Professor of Sociology
- Matthew Valverde, Associate Professor of Music and Title V Grant Project Director
- Cassandra Arreola
B.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies with an emphasis in Sociology and Political Science
(Class of 2025)
- Stephanie Hernandez
B.A. in Sociology with an emphasis in Criminology
(Class of 2023)
- Zayanette (Zay) Nieblas
B.A. in Psychology (Class of 2026)
- Charlie Olson
B.A in Interdisciplinary Studies with an emphasis in Psychology and Sociology (Class of 2023)
- Peyton Schwartz
B.A. in Psychology with a minor in Kinesiology and an emphasis in Pre-Physician Assistant Studies (Class of 2023)
- Genesis Escalon, Graduate Student in Public Administration