How can I find out if I am eligible for Federal Student Aid?

Visit Federal Student Aid from your PC or laptop or download the myStudentAid app to your favorite iOS or Android device. Create your Federal Student Aid ID and complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). U.S. Citizens and Eligible Non-Citizens can apply for the FAFSA. Generally, you are an eligible noncitizen if you are one of the following: U.S. permanent resident, with a Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Receipt Card or “Green Card”); Conditional permanent resident (I-551C). Eligibility estimates are determined in seconds via email and eligibility verification is determined within seven (7) days of submission of your FAFSA.

Can I use Federal Student Aid to pay for online classes?

Eligible students can use Federal Student Aid to pay for their online courses as long as they meet the federal regulations:

  • Enrolled in an accredited degree-seeking program of study
  • Enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester
  • Complete all requirements

I submitted my FAFSA and was notified that I am eligible for Federal Student Aid. Where can I see my financial aid offer?

Once you have been fully admitted to Adams State Online Program, you will be issued a Grizzly Student Account. After you activate your student account, log in and go to:

  • Student Services & Financial Aid
  • Financial Aid
  • My Offer Information
  • offer for Aid Year (select appropriate year)
  • Check out your Federal Student Aid offer!

I am an online student, but my offer overview shows that I am being charged for room & board, travel expenses and some other unexpected fees but I am not attending on campus. Why am I being charged for these expenses? 

The “My Offer Overview” page reflects the budget that was established when you submitted your FAFSA. Based off the Federal Student Aid calculation formula, which includes your average cost of living (rent/mortgage, food, etc), the reported income you included on your FAFSA and the estimated cost of tuition & fees, the offer overview shows the budget formula the US Department of Education used to determine your federal offer eligibility.

The costs are not your actual charges, rather line items on the budget formula used to calculate your ability to provide for yourself and your family while seeking a degree with Adams State Online. You can view your charges, pay your bill or set up payment plans at E-bill.

I received a message that I have Outstanding Financial Aid Requirements. What does this mean?

Federal Student Aid can be a bit of a challenge and on occasion information that has been submitted may be incomplete or randomly selected for quality assurance purposes. The US Department of Education may ask for additional documentation to complete your eligibility determination such as:

  • Income verification
  • Citizenship verification
  • Selective Service Verification

Frequently missed or incorrect line items and prompts:

  • Income Tax Information
  • Household size
  • Student and/or parent signatures

Log into your student account and look at your offer overview and select the link “Outstanding Requirements” for information. You can also contact One Stop Student Services or the financial aid office at (719) 587-7306 for more details.

Can I use my Federal Student Aid if I am taking classes both online and on-campus?

Yes, however you must still meet the eligibility requirements for federal aid (SAP, enrollment, degree seeking). Please take into consideration, enrollment in both online and on-campus may affect your guaranteed tuition and, in some cases, may significantly affect your bill for the semester.

Can I use my Federal Student Aid if I am taking classes both online and print-based courses?

Yes, however there are academic and administrative restrictions regulating the print-based courses as well as a number of limits put forth by the US Department of Education and Federal Student Aid regarding such course work. Please talk to your academic adviser for more information.

Blackboard – When will my courses show up or become viewable?

We explain how they become viewable closer to the semester beginning.

Dates – How do I find specific dates? (semester begin/end dates, add/drop dates, Withdrawal dates, et

View the Academic Calendar.

I’ve been admitted and want to check the status of my admission application.

You can check the status of your application by logging back into the self-service center of the application. You can also email or call 719-587- 7671 and ask for online admissions.

I am a degree seeking student and need advising, who’s my advisor?

All ASO students are assigned to the Distance Academic Advisor, who is currently Melissa Romero. She can be reached at or by phone 719-587-8336

I am a degree seeking student and would like to see my degree plan.

If you are a Interdisciplinary Studies student, you must get your plan from the Distance Academic Advisor. For all other majors, you can log into your degree works audit/plan. To access your degree audit, enter the same username and password as your student account.

I am degree seeking and need help choosing courses/registering for courses.

If you need course recommendations or assistance registering, please contact  the Distance Academic Advisor, who is currently Melissa Romero. She can be reached at or by phone 719-587-8336

What degrees are offered online?

  • Associate of Arts
  • Associate of Science
  • Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration with an emphasis in General Business
  • Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with an emphasis in General Business
  • Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education (this program has specific requirements and must contact an advisor before applying)
  • Bachelor of Arts in Media Industry and Communication
  • Bachelor of Arts in Sociology with an emphasis in Social Work
  • Bachelor of Arts in Sociology with an emphasis in Criminology

How much are courses?

The average course is 3 credits and  tuition price $396.80 per credit hour (there may be other fees)

Do I qualify for Financial Aid?

You may if you have not attended college before. If you have been incarcerated that may affect eligibility. Please call the Office of Financial Aid at 719-587-7306 for more information. You can also apply for FAFSA.

Can I receive Financial Aid from the Center for Legal Studies courses?

At this time, Center for Legal Studies courses for personal enrichment do not qualify for aid and must be paid for out of pocket during registration. To register for a paralegal course.

I have credits for transferring, who do they go to?

For on-campus students, that is Tracey Seckler, the transfer coordinator. She can be reached at or by phone:719-587-7528

For online students, that is me, Melissa Romero, the Distance Academic Advisor. I can be reached at or by phone 719-587-8336

Official transcripts for Online Students can be sent to:

Adams State University
Office of Extended Studies
208 Edgemont Blvd., Suite 3000
Alamosa, CO 81101

If you are electronically sending official transcripts, be sure they are sent to:

I am interested in enrolling in Adams State Online, but want to know what other courses I would need.
Adams State Online offers free unofficial transcript evaluations. Unofficial transcripts may be sent to If you choose to attend Adams State Online, you must submit an official application for admission.

I don’t want a degree from Adams State Online, but I need a class for transfer credit or I want to take a course for personal growth.

If you don’t want to be degree seeking at Adams State Online, you must fill out the registration form for non-degree seeking students. Non-degree courses must be paid for in full during the registration process.