The Writing Studio is available to and welcomes all students: on-campus, distance, undergraduate, graduate. In order to keep everyone safe while learning, the ASU Writing Studio is providing tutoring online only for the Fall 2020 semester. Weekday and evening appointments are available. Our experienced writing tutors offer individual attention and support for writing assignments in any subject.
Tutoring Hours Fall 2020
Online tutoring will be available via Google Meet conferencing. Half-hour sessions are available during the following hours:
9 a.m. -4 p.m.
6 -8 p.m.
9 a.m. -noon
To schedule an appointment:
- Go to the Writing Studio Calendar
- Choose a time slot. Click SAVE.
- You will get a confirmation email. Accept with YES.
- You will receive an edited email invite. Accept with YES.
- At appointment time, go into your Calendar appointment and click JOIN MEETING.
- Please have an electronic copy of your paper ready on your device. Once you are in the meeting, you can share the paper with the tutor.
Or, you may email email@example.com or call 719-587-7898 with your desired meeting day/time. If you are a distance student, please indicate your time zone. It’s best to schedule in advance, but “drop-ins” are usually feasible.
The Writing Studio supports student learning in all disciplines through peer and professional tutoring, as well as classroom presentations on a variety of topics. Tutors will work with you at any stage in the writing process, so that you can become a better writer. Adams State students and alumni who need help with resumes, cover letters, philosophy statements or any documents related to scholarship, job, or graduate school applications should visit the Writing Studio as well. We welcome recommendations for workshop topics. Contact us with your suggestions.
Writing Studio tutors can help you with:
- Paper planning
- Sentence structure
- Publication styles: MLA, APA, AMA, CHICAGO, ASA, APSA
What is at the Studio?
- Tutors who are trained peers, graduate students, and faculty volunteers
- College-standard networked PC computers and a printer
- Updated college grammar handbooks and course writing guides
- Up-to-date citation guides for MLA, APA, Chicago Manual of Style, and others
- Course assignments and sample papers provided by professors each semester
How to Use the Studio
- Start your writing process early.
- Consider the two or three most important items or issues you want to address before you visit. We will start where you want to begin.
- Tutoring sessions last about 30 minutes and are on a first-come, first-served basis unless you have scheduled an appointment.
- You may drop in to work with a tutor, to use the computers and books, or to gather other resources.
- Make an appointment, so you will be our priority.
- You may call or e-mail to schedule an appointment or to ask a question.
- You determine whether or not we should notify a professor that you have worked in the Studio. The decision is always yours.
- Come with a growth mindset and a willingness to learn.
We Help You Become a Better Writer
- We can facilitate any stage of your writing process.
- We can help you develop and organize your ideas.
- You determine the purpose of your writing and the concerns we address.
- Once you have a draft, we respond to the clarity and organization of your writing.
- We help you to identify patterns of errors and to learn how to avoid those errors.
- If papers are polished, we assist you in a final review and in proofreading skills.
- Because of high demand or time constraints, we may not be able to cover every item you wanted to, so please make another appointment before you leave
Work for Us!
If you’re interested in tutoring, you’ll need to qualify for work-study, and you’ll need great writing and people skills. For more information, please contact the director.