The Writing Studio supports student learning in all disciplines through peer and professional tutoring as well as classroom presentations on a variety of topics. No appointment is necessary, so drop in with your assignments and drafts. Tutors will work with you at any stage in the writing process, so that you can become a better writer. ASU students and alumni who need help with resumes, cover letters, philosophy statements or any documents related to scholarship, job, or graduate school applications should visit the Writing Studio as well. We welcome recommendations for workshop topics. Contact us with your suggestions.
Drop in with your writing assignment, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
Tutoring Hours Spring 2020
On-campus Drop-in Hours
Monday – Thursday: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m – Noon
Wednesday: 4 – 6 p.m. in Nielsen Library 2nd floor
Bilingual Tutoring, Spanish/English
Monday: 9 – 10 a.m.
Tuesday: 11 a.m. – Noon
Wednesday: 9 a.m. – Noon
Thursday: 11 a.m. – Noon
Friday: 9 – 10 a.m.
Julie Waechter, Director
What is at the Studio?
- Tutors who are trained peers, graduate students, and faculty volunteers
- College-standard networked PC computers and a printer
- Updated college grammar handbooks and course writing guides
- Up-to-date citation guides for MLA, APA, Chicago Manual of Style, and others
- Course assignments and sample papers provided by professors each semester
How to Use the Studio
- Start your writing process early.
- Consider the two or three most important items or issues you want to address before you visit. We will start where you want to begin.
- Tutoring sessions last about 30 minutes and are on a first-come, first-served basis unless you have scheduled an appointment.
- You may drop in to work with a tutor, to use the computers and books, or to gather other resources.
- Make an appointment, so you will be our priority.
- You may call or e-mail to schedule an appointment or to ask a question.
- You determine whether or not we should notify a professor that you have worked in the Studio. The decision is always yours.
- Come with a growth mindset and a willingness to learn.
We Help You Become a Better Writer
- We can facilitate any stage of your writing process.
- We can help you develop and organize your ideas.
- You determine the purpose of your writing and the concerns we address.
- Once you have a draft, we respond to the clarity and organization of your writing.
- We help you to identify patterns of errors and to learn how to avoid those errors.
- If papers are polished, we assist you in a final review and in proofreading skills.
- Because of high demand or time constraints, we may not be able to cover every item you wanted to, so please make another appointment before you leave
Work for Us!
If you’re interested in tutoring, you’ll need to qualify for work-study, and you’ll need great writing and people skills. For more information, please contact the director.