Students desiring to enroll in a Master’s Degree program in the Department of Counselor Education must hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. Students enrolled in the final year of undergraduate study may be admitted to graduate study pending verification of receipt of the baccalaureate degree.
Deadlines & Cohort Information
Currently, there are no deadlines. Space is limited each semester, therefore, priority is given to complete applications submitted early. Please note that enrollment/admission may end before the aforementioned deadlines.
Our enrollment management system admits students per semester based on application completion date (the date all of your application materials are submitted and the application fee is paid).
The later you complete your application the greater the potential to be considered for a term later than you anticipated. The earlier the better!
MA Counselor Education on-campus / Alamosa cohorts begin each Fall semester only.
MA Counselor Education online cohorts begin every Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
A candidate who is interested in enrolling at Adams State University to pursue a Master of Arts degree in Counselor Education must:
1. Complete the online application
2. Pay the $30 non-refundable application fee at the time of application
3. Submit ALL supplemental admission documents at time of application or through the Self Service Center after application submission
These documents include:
- Personal Statement – addressing the following topics: past helping experiences, future goals in helping professions, and personal qualities that will enable the individual to be an effective counselor. The statement should be 3-5 pages in length, typed, and double-spaced.
- Two (2) online letter of recommendation forms from professional sources addressing the ability of the applicant to become a counselor, academic strengths, and potential. Recommenders will be sent an automatic email to complete this online letter of recommendation form during time of application. Please have recommenders’ first names, last names, and emails at time of application.
4. Send ALL official transcripts from previously attended institutions
Transcripts from ASU need not be requested. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted. International transcripts must be evaluated by an approved international credential evaluator. Please have all official transcripts sent directly from the institutions to:
email@example.com (for electronic official transcripts)
Adams State University
Office of Graduate Studies
208 Edgemont Blvd., Suite 2300
Alamosa, CO 81101
5. Download and read the
- Additional information may be requested by the Department of Counselor Education before an admission decision can be determined.
- The Chair of the Department of Counselor Education will notify students of admission decisions.
If you have below a 2.75 cumulative GPA from your last conferred degree, please provide a brief letter explaining the outcome of your GPA, what has changed, and how you feel that now you would be a successful candidate. If you have 12+ credit hours post-conferred degree, please let us know to re-evaluate your GPA with the additional credit.