Master of Science in Coaching (online)
In the 21st Century, coaches are expected to be responsible for more than X’s and O’s. At any competitive level, a coach must be knowledgeable about coaching styles and behaviors, proper training methods, successful teaching techniques, relevant legal issues, budgeting, fundraising, and motivating athletes. Pursuing an advanced degree is one effective avenue to enhance a coach’s leadership skills and knowledge while increasing marketability in a highly competitive field.
The online Master of Science in Coaching at Adams State University is a 36-credit hour program that offers a wide range of courses and practical experiences in order to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to become a more highly qualified coach. All courses are offered online, which allows for greater flexibility and optimum convenience for students who hold full-time careers or cannot relocate.We offer small class sizes in order to provide personalized interactions with professors.
Students can complete the program in two years, which includes all coursework. The Master of Science in Coaching at Adams State is the least expensive of any other fully online master’s degree in the U.S. We recently were named a Top Performer on Social Mobility in the Best Colleges 2020 rankings by the U.S. News & World Report. We pride ourselves in being a University that strives for inclusive excellence, providing opportunity and access to all.
To produce graduates who can demonstrate a mastery of the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with being an effective coach/leader in a variety of sport-related (recreational, interscholastic, intercollegiate, professional) settings.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Evaluate and synthesize evidence-based practices as they relate to the physiological, sociological, and psychological principles of working with athletes in a variety of sport-related settings;
- Apply relevant coaching theories to personal and institutional sport-related environments in order to make ethical coaching decisions that can impact diverse populations;
- Apply effective business practices to relevant sport-related settings.
Total Credit Hours: 36
Each of the courses is 3 credit hours. You will take 6 credit hours per semester in order to graduate within two years. If you cannot take 6 credit hours in any given semester then additional semesters may be needed to complete the degree. See the Course Catalog for more information.
- Complete the online application for admission
- Pay the $30 application fee at time of application
- Submit ALL supplemental admission documents at time of application or through the Self Service Center after application submission:
These documents include:
- Letter of intent: Please discuss why you want to pursue a MS in Coaching from Adams State University (e.g., How will this degree help you achieve your professional goals?). Length: 1 page, including formal header.
- Personal Statement: In one to three words, how would you describe your coaching style (i.e., what characteristics define you as a coach). If you are not currently a coach, consider how you want to be as a coach. Please elaborate on why you chose these words. Length: 2-3 paragraphs, not including formal header.
- Two online letter of recommendation forms: Recommenders will be sent an automatic email to complete this online letter of recommendation form during time of application. Please have recommenders’ first names, last names, and emails at time of application. Each recommender, along with completing the form, must also attach a formal letter of recommendation.
- Send ALL official transcripts from previously attended institutions
Transcripts from Adams State need not be requested. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted. Please have all official transcripts sent to email@example.com (for electronic official transcripts)
Adams State University
Office of Graduate Studies
208 Edgemont Blvd., Suite 2300
Alamosa, CO 81101
- An undergraduate cumulative GPA of a 3.0 is required. Additional information may be requested if a student does not meet the GPA requirement.
- If applicant’s undergraduate degree is in something other than Kinesiology, the student may be required to complete additional pre-requisites.
- The Office of Graduate Studies will notify students of admission decisions.
Depending upon which semester you’d like to start the program, please have your materials to us by the below dates:
- Fall semester start: July 1
- Spring semester start: November 1
- Summer semester start: March 1
Depending upon your application submission date, we try to provide you with a decision within two-weeks.
Online Graduate Degree Tuition and Fees
We are one of the most affordable online Master of Science in Coaching degrees in the nation. Our graduate cost per credit hour is $452.80, which includes tuition and all fees. Students usually register for 6-credit hours per semester, which allows students to complete the program in 2 years across 6 semesters (i.e., Fall 1, Spring 1, Summer 1, Fall 2, Spring 2, Summer 2). However, we have several students who, due to their hectic schedules depending upon the time of year, only take 3-credits in a particular semester. We are willing to work with you to create an individualized program that works best for your schedule and financial needs.
Terry Dupler, Ph. D.
Director, School of Kinesiology & Health Sciences
Graduate Program Coordinator, Coaching (online)