Students desiring to enroll in the Master of Science degree programs in the Department of Kinesiology must hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
An acceptable minor in physical education or the equivalent from an accredited institution will be considered for the coaching and sport administration programs.
Exercise Science, Coaching, and Sport Administration Programs
- Students without undergraduate majors in physical education, exercise science, kinesiology or related areas may be required to take prerequisite or “leveling” courses. These may vary according to the student’s specialization.
Applied Sport Psychology Program
- Students without undergraduate majors in physical education, exercise & sport science, kinesiology, sport psychology, psychology, business or related areas may be required to take prerequisite or “leveling” courses. These may vary according to the student’s specialization.
Application Complete Deadlines
Applied Sport Psychology
- Fall 2023 semester cohort – Application complete date: March 1
- Spring semester cohort – Application complete date: December 1
- Summer semester cohort – Application complete date: April 1
- Fall semester cohort – Application complete date: July 1
- Fall 2023 semester cohort – Application complete date: July 1
- Spring semester cohort – Application complete date: December 16
- Summer semester cohort – Application complete date: May 1
- Fall semester cohort – Application complete date: August 1
How to Apply
- Complete the online application for admission
- Pay the $30 application fee at time of application
- Submit ALL supplemental admission documents at time of application or through the Self Service Center after application submission:
- These documents include:
- Letter of intent for Exercise Science, Applied Sport Psychology, and Sport Administration programs – describe interests, background, the emphasis of interest and motivation behind wanting to pursue degree of interest, and professional goals. The letter will be used to assess writing skills for eligibility into the program.
- Letter of intent for Coaching program – please discuss why you want to pursue a MS in Coaching from Adams State University (e.g., How will this degree help you achieve your professional goals). Length: 1 page, including formal header.
- Personal Statement for Coaching program – in one to three words, how would you describe your coaching style (i.e., what characteristics define you as a coach). If you are not currently a coach, consider how you want to be as a coach. Please elaborate on why you chose these words. Length: 2-3 paragraphs, not including formal header.
- Current Resume (all programs)
- Two (2) online letter of recommendation forms (all programs). Recommenders will be sent an automatic email to complete this online letter of recommendation form during time of application. Please have recommenders’ first names, last names, and emails at time of application.
- Coaching program only: Each recommender, along with completing the form, must also attach a current formal letter of recommendation.
- These documents include:
- Send ALL official transcripts from previously attended institutions.
Transcripts from Adams State need not be requested. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted. Please have all official transcripts sent to:
firstname.lastname@example.org (for electronic official transcripts)
Adams State University
Office of Graduate Studies
208 Edgemont Blvd., Suite 2300
Alamosa, CO 81101
- An undergraduate cumulative GPA of a 3.0 in the final 60 hours of the undergraduate degree program is required. Additional information may be requested if a student does not meet the GPA requirement.
- If applicant’s undergraduate degree is in something other than Kinesiology, the student may be required to complete additional pre-requisites.
- The Office of Graduate Studies will notify students of admission decisions.
- For further information email email@example.com