What is considered an excused absence?
Absences that WILL BE excused by the Office of Student Services (with required documentation)
- Illness – medical documentation required (note from doctor, emergency room verification, etc.)
- Funeral – funeral program, obituary notice
- Jury Duty – must bring in documentation of jury service or jury summons form.
- Mandatory Court Appearance – must bring in a copy of court papers clearly stating date of appearance.
- School Sponsored Activity – must have a letter from advisor stating group name, purpose, day and time for the absence.
- Military Service
Absences that will POSSIBLY be excused by the Office of Student Services (with documentation)
- Auto Problems – documentation required
- Child Care Needs
- Mandatory Employment Obligations – letter from employer stating reasons and why it is mandatory
Absences that will NOT be excused by the Office of Student Services
- Job Interviews (does not include job fairs through Adams State)
- Non-Adams State Competitions (ie: State Fair, Stock Shows, etc.)
- Illness (ie: common cold, flu) without doctor’s excuse
- Church Related Trips
It is up to the professor’s discretion to let you make up any work missed by an absence, even those excused by the Office of Student Services . Please talk to your individual professors concerning any missed classes.
Please visit the Office of Student Services to discuss any absences. Exceptions may be made based on individual situations. The student has 30 days from the date of absence to submit documentation to the Office of Student Services. After the 30 days, the absence will not be officially excused by the Office of Student Services.