Completion of requirements for a bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of 120 academic (non-PE) semester hours of credit.
- At least 42 academic credits must be upper division (300- to 400-level).
- A cumulative scholastic average of 2.0.
- General education courses must be completed with an average GPA of at least 2.0.
- All general education, major, minor, area of concentration, or teacher licensure requirements must be satisfied.
- All students must demonstrate writing proficiency by the end of the sophomore year.
- No D grade may apply to a major or minor field.
Completion of the Core Literature Requirements (21 hours):
- ENG 203: Major Themes in Lit GT-AH2 (3 TO 6 hours)
- ENG 458: Modern Poetry (3 hours)
- ENG 460: Reading Short Prose (3 hours)
- ENG 480: Contemporary Literary Theory (3 hours)
- Plus nine credits of upper division literature courses
Completion of the Core Creative Writing Requirements (21 Hours):
- ENG 214: Oral Interpret and Performance (3 hours)
- ENG 227: Intro to Creative Writing (3 hours)
- ENG 326: CW Poetry Workshop I (3 hours)
- ENG 327: Fiction Workshop I (3 hours)
- ENG 328: Creative Nonfiction I (3 hours)
- ENG 497: Capstone Writing Workshop (3 hours)
Plus one of the following three advanced workshop courses:
- ENG 323: Introduction to Memoir (3 hours)
- ENG 324: The Prison Memoir (3 hours)
- ENG 325: Women and Memoir (3 hours)
- ENG 426: Poetry Workshop II (3 hours)
- ENG 427: Fiction Workshop II (3 hours)
- ENG 428: Creative Nonfiction II (3 hours)
Completion of three credits of other writing courses/workshops (3 hours):
- COMM 275: News Writing and Criticism (3 hours)
- COMM 340: Citizen Journalism & Freelance Writing (3 hours)
- ENG 363: Advanced Composition (3 hours)
- THTR 352: Playwriting (3 hours)
- Summer writing workshops