The Teacher Education Department of Adams State University is dedicated to inspiring and empowering the cultivation of educational leaders who embrace diversity, facilitate change, and contribute to the learning and inclusion of all students, particularly in rural regions.
Based upon the model of the professional educator as a reflective decision-maker, the Department of Teacher Education prepares:
- Educational leaders who actively participate in school improvement, applying the skills necessary to facilitate school reform while fostering collaboration and cooperation amongst multiple stakeholders
- Competent professionals who seek out and manage resources to support instruction, engage in constructive discourse on a wide range of educational issues, understand and implement state standards, and model best practices
- Culturally responsive teachers who facilitate learning for all students
Content and pedagogical preparation includes:
- A liberal arts education and content area knowledge in the area of licensure
- Application of evidence-based theories and strategies of learning and instruction to classroom practice, including:
- Colorado content standards based curriculum
- Instructional management
- Formal and informal assessment practices
- Instructional strategies that address a wide range of learning styles, including effective strategies for linguistically and culturally diverse students
The Department of Teacher Education is authorized by the Colorado State Board of Education to provide licensure and endorsement programs. All M.A. degree-seeking candidates must successfully complete a capstone project (CAP) in order to meet requirements for the degree.
- Master of Arts in Education
with endorsements or emphases in:
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse, CLD Endorsement
- Curriculum and Instruction Emphasis
- Educational Leadership Program, Principal License
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Education with Licensure
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Education with Non Licensure
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education, Special Education Generalist Endorsement
- Bachelor of Arts with K-12 Education Licensure
- Art Education
- Music Education
- Physical Education
- Bachelor of Arts with Secondary Education Licensure
- Curtis Garcia, M.A.
- Joaquin Vilá, Ph.D.
- Carolyn Casale, Ed.D.
- Bev DeVore-Wedding, Ph.D.
- Curtis Garcia, M.A.
- Michele Mann, Ph.D.
- Kieran Nduagbo, Ph.D.