Program Goal One: To enhance students’ critical thinking and writing skills.
- Students will be able to apply appropriate critical language to artworks verbally and in writing.
- Art education students will be able to apply critical language appropriate to the developmental stages of the children with whom they are working.
Program Goal Two: To promote in students the skills necessary for producing visual art pieces that are creative, well crafted, and effective in communicating concepts of the artists choosing.
- Students will demonstrate technical ability and craftsmanship in their artworks.
- Students will demonstrate understanding of the elements of art and principals of design through effective compositions.
- Students’ artworks will communicate concepts effectively.
- Students’ artworks will show originality.
Program Goal Three: To instill in students a global understanding of the visual arts and promote an appreciation of the visual arts within such a multicultural framework.
Students will demonstrate understanding of the characteristics of the art styles of different cultures and time periods.
Program Goal Four: To provide students with the skills needed to work as art professionals or pursue an advanced degree.
- Art Education students will be licensed as art educators (K-12).
- Students will be able to prepare for and mount an exhibition of their artwork.
- Students will be able to estimate expenses and establish prices for their artworks.
- Students will develop a professional quality portfolio.
- BFA students will have the skills necessary to enter MA or MFA programs.