Press Release and Photography
- Press releases to local newspapers and radio promoting upcoming events
- Articles featuring faculty/staff/alumni – after presenting at a conference, receiving an award, writing a published article/book, retiring, or any number of significant accomplishments
- Attendance at events to photograph and write releases/articles for press
- Coordination of paid advertising between campus department and desired media source
Press Release Information
- Information for promoting events should include: time/date/place, contact numbers, pricing information, and any additional information that may draw people to attend.
- Adams State University uses Associated Press Style when writing releases and articles. Any information sent to the Office of Communications will be edited to include AP style.
- Public Relations and Marketing coordinates the alumni magazine, the AStater, releases, photographs, or articles may appear in the magazine.
- Other media sources the Public Relations and Marketing sends releases and articles to includes (but is not limited to) the Valley Courier, the Pueblo Chieftain, Lifestyles, KSLV, KGIW, KRZA, KASF, the South Coloradan, Hispania News, KSPK, the community calendar on Bresnan cable, SLV Junction website.
- Although releases and articles are sent to local press, they are under no obligation to print, or announce our releases. Historically, most events are promoted through our local media outlets, however this is not guaranteed. Paid advertising is the only guarantee.
- All releases and articles written are published on Adams State News.
When promoting an event it is best to send pertinent information, including time/date/place of event three weeks prior to event. This allows plenty of time to organize the material, shoot a photograph to accompany the release (say of a play or concert rehearsal) – MOST NEWS SOURCES prefer to receive releases two weeks before the event – especially radio stations – and that gives plenty of air time on the radio, and enough time for the newspaper to run the release before the event.
When desiring paid advertising, a budget is required beforehand, every media source has a different price range – once a total budget is known, size of ad, and number of times to run can be determined. Deadline for paid advertising is new weeks prior to run date, allowing time to design ad and coordinate with media source.
If an event needs to be covered, please give two weeks notice – to coordinate scheduling with full-time staff and work-study staff.
Director Public Relations and Marketing
Asst. Director of Communications