Workday Training Library

State Fiscal Rule 5-1

Per State of Colorado Fiscal Rules, Rule 5-1, Paragraph 3.2, travel charged to the State regardless of the funding source, shall be for the benefit of the State, only for the time period necessary, and completed using the most economical means available which will satisfactorily accomplish the State’s business.


Travelers must complete a spend authorization and obtain all approvals required prior to incurring any travel expenses (registration, airfare, etc).

In-State Travel

Travel within the State of Colorado and to immediate areas outside the State (within the same day) that is a necessary part of an otherwise “in-state” trip. Approval from the Department Approving Authority is always required

Out-of-State Travel

Travel other than in Colorado and that is within the 50 United States, including District of Columbia. Approval from the Department is always required. Approval is also required from the Vice President of Administration and Finance Office

International Travel

International Travel is considered as travel to any destination not considered in-state or out-of-state. Approval is always required from the Department Approving Authority, as well as the President of the University.

For information about the destination country (including travel warnings), passport information, and more, see the US Department of State Travel site.

Group Travel

Travel is considered as Group Travel when there are three or more individuals traveling together on Adams State University business.


Itemized receipts are required and need to be submitted with your expense report. Additional charges for charitable contributions or donations for various causes will not be reimbursed.

See the Tax-Exemption for State Travel link, for information regarding tax exemption for individuals and lodging.

Conference/Registration Fees

The traveler should use the Procurement Card (PCard) to pay any registration fees directly to the vendor. Registration fees can also be paid by an Adams State check, if the vendor does not accept credit cards.

Registration can be paid personally, However, you will not be reimbursed for any part of the trip, including registration, until the trip is complete.

Please attach a copy of the conference brochure or itinerary to the spend authorization.

Currency Exchange

Cost of converting money is reimbursable when the exchange rate is documented and included with the Travel Expense form. Currency calculation must be backdated to reflect actual date expenses were incurred. This currency converter website can be used to document the exchange rates.

Non-Employee Meals, Lodging, Travel

These charges are governed by the same rules that apply to employee travel-related expenses. The sponsoring department is encouraged to take advantage of State contract airfares and work with approved travel agencies. However, non-employees may make their own travel arrangements.

Unallowable Expenses

The following expenses are not authorized for reimbursement per State Fiscal Rule 5-1:

  1. The University will not reimburse the cost of an employee’s spouse or other person accompanying the University employee on a business trip. Conversely, the University will not receive benefit from a lower travel fare resulting from the spouse of a University employee or other person accompanying the employee on a business trip
  2. Personal expenses, such as personal hygiene items, movies, magazines, snacks, alcoholic beverages, personal telephone calls (except as allowed under the Incidental Expense allowance), laundry, entertainment, etc.
  3. Travel insurance paid by the traveler
  4. Meals when the travel is wholly within a single day, unless otherwise covered as stated in this guide.
  5. Overnight accommodations furnished at no extra cost to the traveler (i.e., room furnished as part of the registration fee) cannot be reimbursed as part of lodging
  6. Meals included in a registration fee, official function, or provided at no cost to the traveler cannot be reimbursed as part of the traveler’s meal reimbursement
  7. Political expenses, traffic tickets, and/or fines


Contact the campus Risk Management Office. If the accident occurred in a rental vehicle charged on the State Travel Card, contact the Citibank Visa Program Administrator (1-800-VISA-911) as soon as reasonably possible to report the claim and request a claim form. If the claim form is not filed within the designated time period, the renter can be held personally responsible. See the Rental Vehicles section for more information.

Tax-Exemption for State Travel

In regards to tax-exemption for state travel, individuals should not be requesting tax-exemption when paying with an individual state travel card or personal credit card. Only purchases made directly with agency funds, ex. with a corporate travel card or Adams State University check, are tax-exempt (Reg 39-26-704.1).

Travel Warnings/Alerts for International Travel

The U.S. Department of State’s Office of American Citizens Services and Crisis Management (ACS) administers the Consular Information Program, which informs the public of conditions abroad that may affect their safety and security.

Travel Warnings are issued to describe long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable.

Travel Alerts are issued to disseminate information about short-term conditions, generally within a particular country, that pose imminent risks to the security of U.S. Citizens.

For a list of the current Travel Warnings and/or Alerts, see the US Department of State website.