Personal Vehicle Use

Note: Effective January 1, 2020, there are no changes to mileage rates, the reimbursement rate for use of a personal vehicle will be $.52/mile. A higher reimbursement rate applies (it remains $.55/mile) if road conditions require four-wheel drive vehicle use. Justification for use of 4wd must be provided and the higher reimbursement rate will only be paid for the distance where 4wd was necessary.

For the period between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019, the reimbursement rate for use of a personal vehicle was $.52/mile and $.55/mile for justified four-wheel drive vehicle use.

To help travelers calculate miles driven, see the Mileage Chart from Alamosa link. You may also use MapQuest for calculating mileage.

State Vehicles

A State-owned vehicle should be considered for all official travel within the State of Colorado.

Effective January 1, 2018 the mileage rates are $.45 for a state car, $.55 for a state van, and $1.75 for buses.

State-owned vehicles are to be used for official State business only, not for personal, political, or religious purposes, or for personal benefits of anyone.

State-owned vehicles are not to be used to commute between the office and home. Upon direction of the approving authority an employee may be authorized to take a State-owned vehicle home so that they may start a trip early the next day.

To reserve a State Vehicle:

  1. Call Facility Services at 719-587-7951 to make the reservation. Have the following information ready: dates and times of departure and return, driver’s name, type of vehicle desired, and total number of passengers. Facility Services will be able to let you know if anything is available.
  2. Complete the Travel Request form and submit it to the Travel Office at least two weeks prior to travel. Indicate in the appropriate area, on the form, that a state vehicle has been requested. Also, please list the name of the driver(s) in the Remarks section of the request form. Due to the high volume of requests for state vehicles, it is advised that you turn your paperwork in as soon as possible. Note: the vehicle request is not guaranteed until an approved Travel Request has been received by Facility Services from the Travel/Accounting Office. Effective January 1, 2018 the mileage rates are $.45 for a state car, $.55 for a state van, and $1.75 for buses. Remember to request the round trip total per vehicle and add a few extra miles, as a cushion. You will only be charged the actual miles.
  3. A copy of the Travel Request is required when you pick up the vehicle. Note that Facility Services is only open on weekdays. For vehicle pickup after normal business hours, please contact the ASU Police Department.
  4. COMPLETE the transportation ticket, located in a book in the vehicle. The forms are designed to be self-explanatory, with a space for the mileage readings at the start and return of the trip, an area to list the destination, the department, and a signature line. The pickup and return dates are also important. Please print your name along side the signature.

The State gasoline card provided with the vehicle should be used for gas purchases, oil, and vehicle expenses whenever possible. When emergency automobile service is needed on a State vehicle, service may be obtained and the cost billed to the State – information on how to obtain service is included with the car. When an employee of the State pays for emergency automobile service, the claim for reimbursement must be included on the Travel Expense form with receipts and an explanation attached.

Rental Vehicles

The State of Colorado has mandatory price agreements with Hertz, Enterprise/National, Budget, and Avis.

The State requires the use of these vendors even if cheaper rates are available through another rental car carrier. All vehicle rentals should be charged using your Citibank State Travel Card. Use of the card assures the negotiated rates are honored and that the collision damage insurance is not necessary. If you do not have a State Travel Card, call extension 7762 and rental vehicle arrangements can be made through the ASU Travel Office.

  • Hertz Car Rental – Discount Code – 65579 or 1888181
  • Enterprise/National Car Rental – Discount Code – XZ12450 (and “STA”, if needed)
  • Budget Car Rental – Discount Code – T143800
  • Avis Car Rental – AWD# – A514100

The car rental company CDW/LDW insurance should always be declined, when using the Citibank State Travel Card.

Employees who accept unnecessary automobile rental insurance will not receive reimbursement for the purchase of this insurance.

Original itemized receipts are always required for reimbursement of car rental costs and for rental car gas purchases, regardless of dollar amount.

Note: If the traveler requires access to a special vehicle – e.g., a minivan – to transport specific cargo/multiple passengers, and if such vehicle is unavailable from the contract rental agencies, the traveler may be able to lease a fleet vehicle. Please discuss this with the Travel Compliance Designee, before making any reservations.

The State encourages use of the state-issued travel card when renting a car for several reasons:

  1. Use of the state card assures that additional insurance is not needed. The travel card insurance covers the car completely.
  2. If you do not use the travel card, you may not get the state rate. Even if you do get the state rate, you will have to purchase the additional insurance to cover the car. Ultimately the cost is higher for the university. If you do not have a state card, rental arrangements can be made through the ASU Travel Office.

Information about the Benefits Package provided with the Visa Commercial Card, which includes Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, can be found on the following brochure.

Visa Commercial Card Guide to Benefits Package