Top 5 Helpful Hints
- Read and follow the grant application instructions thoroughly and completely before beginning to write. Ensure that you are able to meet grantor requirements such as matching funds and other institutional commitments in advance. Follow formatting requirements closely: even a seemingly minor oversight in formatting details can cost you points, or worse, cause proposal rejection.
- Allow plenty of time (at least 6 weeks) for Adams State grant application approval processes, data research, and final budget and proposal development.
- Check your work and submission requirements. Did you answer every question completely and include all attachments?
- Proofread and review your writing for clarity and conciseness. An outside reader may be helpful in this regard.
- Plan to submit at least 2 days before the deadline. Waiting until the deadline date to submit risks delays due to system slow-downs and the potential for missing the deadline.
Colorado Common Grant Application and User’s Guide
The Colorado Common Grant Application (CGA) provides a template used by private foundations and other funders across the state. The User’s Guide is especially helpful in addressing each section and providing grant-writing tips and insights into what reviewers expect to see in narratives and other sections.
Sign up for Grant Alerts and Newsletters
The Foundation Center’s Philanthropy News Digest offers free subscriptions to philanthropy related news and Requests for Proposals (RFPs). Sign up for alerts and gain insights into current funding trends.
Check agency and foundation websites for email alerts or RSS feeds for proposal solicitations. The Federal Register posts the official announcements for federally funded grants and provides notices to subscribers on postings based on keywords. AASCU’s Grant Resource Center offers grant alert subscriptions for member university employees—the Adams State Grant Specialist can assist you with sign ups and access to GRC’s GrantWeek via Adams State’s grantsinfo google group.
Adams State Office of Sponsored Programs – Contact the Grant Specialist, Tawney Becker, at email@example.com, x8305 with questions on Adams State grant processes and assistance getting started.