Questions that apply to all graduate students in all graduate programs at Adams State

Graduate Programs

Are the graduate programs accredited?

Yes. Adams State is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools at 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois, 60604. HLC can be contacted at 800-621-7440, or

Will I earn semester or quarter credits?

You will earn semester credits.

How many credits are required to complete a graduate degree program?

The credits vary per degree program from 30-60 credits.

Tuition and Fees

What are the tuition and fees for graduate programs?

The tuition and fees are dependent on the program of study and can be found here.


What is the admissions process for graduate programs at Adams State University?

The first step is to apply online. Departments vary in their admission requirements.

I just completed my online application. Now what?

Make sure to submit all required supplemental admission documents found on the:

Individual programs’ admissions requirements pages

Your online application and supplemental admission documents will be processed by the Office of Graduate Studies. When your application is complete with all documents, the intended program receives your application file to determine an admissions decision.

When is the deadline for admission?

Adams State University generally has rolling admission for the majority of the programs. However, the cohorts fill up quickly and you may be placed on a waiting list for the following cohort. The complete application deadline to start the program may vary depending on program.

Do I need to order my Adams State official transcript if I attended or graduated from Adams State?

No. We have access to your official transcript so it is not necessary to order. Please list that you have attended Adams State on your application for previous colleges attended however.

Course Registration

How do I register for my course(s)?

The course registration process varies per program. Please check with your assigned advisor on the best way for you to register based on your program of study.

What is considered full-time enrollment status for graduate students?

Full-time enrollment status is 6 credit hours.

Where can I look at the course descriptions for courses?

In the Adams State Academic Catalog.


Where can I order my textbooks at Adams State?

Textbooks can be purchased from the Adams State University Bookstore. Click on the picture for “Adams State Books”. You can either search by the course or by what you are registered for by entering your student ID (900# or 902#). You may contact the Adams State Bookstore at 719-587-7912 or

How do I access my Adams State online classes, grizzlies email account, and/or student account?

Once you have been formally accepted, you will be issued your student ID number (900# or 902#) and a token number from the Office of Graduate Studies via email in 1-3 days. A token number is a temporary code used to set up your username and password. Using your username and this password, you will access your classes, student email account, and/or student account on the One Stop webpage.

I forgot my username and password to log into my Blackboard, email, and student account, how do I obtain this information again?

Please contact our Computing Services Department at: 719-587-7741.

Financial Aid

When will my financial aid be disbursed?

As long as all your financial aid requirements are completed, your financial aid will be disbursed towards your Adams State account the day you begin half-time enrollment, which for most graduate students this is their first class. Graduate students are considered full-time at 6 credit hours.

Is Financial Aid available for graduate students?

Yes. Most graduate students are eligible for a $20,500 Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan for the full academic year (fall, spring, summer).

How do I accept or deny my financial aid package?

Once you are packaged for financial aid, you can view the award information on your One Stop Student Account. You can accept the full loan, a partial amount, or deny the loan completely.

I already completed a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling (EC) as an Undergraduate student. Do I have to do it again?

Yes, even though most graduate students take out an unsubsidized loan, which is the same loan you may have received as undergrad student, you need to complete the MPN and EC again as a graduate student. Good news is they are valid for ten years so you should only have to complete them once when you first start your graduate program.

Am I eligible for anything other than a Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan?

Yes. Graduate students are also eligible for Graduate PLUS loans and alternative loans if that is their preference. Graduate students are not eligible for the PELL grant or Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans.

Please contact the One Stop if you have any additional questions concerning financial aid. 719-587-7306 or email


How do I apply for scholarships?

Please visit our website on our scholarships, and the application process. Please be aware of the deadlines to apply for the following academic year.

Veterans/VA Education Benefits

Do you accept VA Education Benefits?

Yes. All questions regarding VA Education Benefits funding should to go to our Veteran’s Center.


What if I need writing help or tutoring?

Adams State University offers free online writing help and tutoring in various subject areas through NetTutor. Also, we have Graduate Student Support Services offering free academic workshops on various topics such as academic writing/APA, qualitative reasoning, library research/information literacy, etc. and soft skill workshops which include grant writing, mindful meditation, and discovering your wellness.


Will I be able to contact my advisor if I have questions?

Yes. You will have an assigned program advisor. Your advisor will answer any questions you may have and will assist you with mapping out the completion of your degree.

Do you accept graduate transfer of credit?

Graduate transfer credits can potentially be accepted upon approval from the program coordinator/director.


When is graduate commencement?

Graduate commencement is held once a year in May. Information will be sent to students concerning the ceremony and how to order regalia early in the Spring semester to students who have submitted their intent to graduate applications.

What are the deadlines to apply for graduation?

Spring Graduation: February 15th
Summer Graduation: June 15th (April 1st for name to be included in commencement program)
Fall Graduation: September 15th

How do I apply for graduation?

Please complete the appropriate intent to graduate online form to apply for graduation via your Student Account.

When I complete all my requirements, when will my degree be awarded?

Your degree will be awarded at the end of the semester in which you completed your final courses. You will work with your advisor to complete the necessary graduation documents needed to apply for graduation at the beginning of the term that you plan to complete all coursework required for your degree.

Can I get help after I graduate?

Yes. We have a Career Services Office whose goal is to prepare students and alumni to successfully navigate the job search.