Adams State University is dedicated to ensuring students have every opportunity to achieve their educational goals. To encourage successful degree completion in a timely manner, academic progress for all students is reviewed at the end of every term.
Three Standards of SAP
- Minimum GPA Standard: 2.0 cumulative GPA for undergraduates and 3.0 for graduates
- Pace Standard: successful completion of at least 67% of total attempted hours
- Maximum Credit Standard: completion of program(s) of study within 150% of degree requirements.
- PROBATION: Students who fail to meet the minimum GPA and/or Pace Standards for the first time will be placed on probation. All financial aid will be held until the student meets with their academic advisor and completes the SAP appeal form. The appeal is then submitted to the Financial Aid Office for evaluation. Students whose appeals are approved will remain on PROBATION until the following semester when their SAP status is re-evaluated. Students whose appeals are denied will be moved to SELFPAY.
- SUSPENSION: Students who have had a prior probation semester and fail to meet SAP Standards for two consecutive semesters are placed on SUSPENSION. All financial aid is held until the student meets with their academic advisor and completes the SAP appeal form. The appeal is then submitted to the Financial Aid Office for evaluation. Students whose appeals are approved will be moved to PROBATION until the following semester when their SAP status is re-evaluated. Students whose appeals are denied will be moved to SELFPAY.
- SELFPAY: Students who have failed to meet SAP Standards for three consecutive semesters or have had a SAP appeal denied are placed on SELFPAY. The student is ineligible to receive further financial aid until they meet all SAP standards on their own financial terms. This includes state, federal, and institutional loans, grants, and scholarships.
The SAP Appeal is a degree audit and should include:
- Restricted enrollment for the next semester
- Cumulative GPA
- Anticipated graduation date
If the SAP Appeal is approved, the Academic Plan becomes the student’s new, individual SAP Standards. These requirements will be rigorous in order to help the student meet the three policy SAP standards again, and the student is expected to work closely with their Academic Advisor to this end. If the SAP appeal is denied or if at any point the student fails to meet the requirements of their individualized SAP Standards, they will be placed on SELFPAY with no option for appeal. The student may pay out of pocket for courses to regain financial aid eligibility.