When is payday?

For all full-time Faculty, Administration and Classified staff payday is the last working day of each month, except for the June paycheck will be paid on July 1. Only full-time, benefit eligible employees will be paid through automatic deposit.

When do benefits begin?

For Faculty and Administrative staff, benefits begin on the first day of employment (date on contract.)

For Classified staff, benefits begin on the first day of the month following the date of hire. For example, date of hire is Feb. 1, benefits begin on March 1.

When are insurance premiums paid?

Faculty and Administrative employee’s premiums are paid a month in advance. Many new employees will experience 2 months (double deductions) of premiums taken out of their first paycheck.

Classified employees premiums are paid at the end of the month after benefits begin.

Do I have choices for Medical Insurance?

Yes, Faculty and Administrative employees have 3 choices for medical insurance. They can be found at the following link in the CHEIBA Benefits Book

Yes, Classified Employees have 2 choices for medical insurance.

Do I have choices for Dental Insurance?

Faculty and Administrative employees have 2 choices for dental insurance.

Classified Employees have 2 choices.

What is the cost for benefits?

Faculty and Administrative employees premium costs are:

  • Single coverage: $115.00 – Medical $12.00 Dental Family coverage: $313.00 – Medical $32.06 Dental. Click on link for Classified premiums


When can changes be made to my benefits?

Faculty and Administrative employees can make changes to their insurance elections during open enrollment in November. The benefits year begins January 1st and ends December 31st. Benefits changes made during open enrollment that result in a premium change for the new benefits year will be reflected in the December paychecks because benefits are prepaid.

Classified staff can make changes during open enrollment beginning in the month of April. Benefit year begins July 1st and ends June 30th.

Any employee who has a qualifying event of life change, like a birth of a child, marriage, divorce, loss of dependent or spouse, and/or spouse loses coverage during a plan year, may make changes at that time without waiting for open enrollment. Employees have 30 days from the date of the qualifying event to make changes to their insurance. Please contact HR as soon as you have a qualifying event of life change.

Do I have life insurance?

Faculty and Administrative staff must enroll in Basic Term Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage as a condition of employment. Employees may purchase additional life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment coverage. For plan specifics, please view the CHEIBA benefits Booklet on the website at insurance. They can be found at the following link in the CHEIBA Benefits Book.

Classified employees have $50,000 of basic life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance coverage at no cost to the employee. Additional life insurance may be purchase, subject to approval by the insurance carrier; for the employee and spouse in increments of $10,000 to a maximum of $300,000. A spouse is eligible for 50% of the value of the employees optional life insurance coverage. Evidence of insurability forms are required to be submitted to Standard Insurance Company for any increase in optional life insurance coverage during open enrollment. Employees may elect life insurance for their dependent children in the amount of $5,000 or $10,000 in coverage.

How much vacation and sick leave do I earn?

Administrative employees earn 13.34 hours of vacation every month. Vacation hours are accrued on the last working day of each month. 528 hours of sick leave are given to each Administrative employee on July 1, Amounts are pro-rated for start dates other than July 1.

Classified employees earn vacation leave based on years of service.

What do I do if…

My address changes?

Fill out and turn in a new W-4 form to Human Resources for your W-2 address. For benefits, fill out a benefits claim form, either for exempt employees or classified employees.

My name changes?

Please turn in a copy of your new social security card, a new W-4 form and a new I-9 form.

I move from part-time to full-time employment or vice versa?

Please turn in your new contract and contact Human Resources regarding the change. If going from full-time to part-time, a clearance sheet will be required, and you will need some important information regarding your benefits, etc. If going to full-time from part-time, you must contact Human Resources for benefits information and policies.

I want to terminate my employment with Adams State University?

Please submit a formal resignation letter with a resignation date to your supervisor. Contact Human Resources to get a clearance sheet, submit a new W-4 form and get information on your last paycheck. Bring a copy of your resignation letter with you.

I want to retire from the institution?

Please make an appointment with Tracy Rogers in Human Resources as soon as you begin considering retirement. There are options to be considered and actions that should be taken long before you actually retire.

I have a life status change?

A life status change form must be filled out. The deadline for any changes to benefits or plans is 30 days following the life status change.

I have concerns about my workplace, i.e. discrimination, sexual harassment, performance evaluations, etc.

Please contact Human Resources immediately for guidance.

I have been injured on the job?

Tell your supervisor first, get treatment (for a life or limb threatening injury) or an appointment with the Regional Occupational Medicine Program (ROMP) at 587-8110. Fill out the Employee Statement and with your supervisor fill out the First Report of Injury. Please submit the reports to Human Resources as soon as possible. The ROMP office will need a claim number before your appointment, which Human Resources will obtain upon receipt of the first reports.

I need to take extended sick leave due to an illness, injury or surgery?

Contact your supervisor first, then Human Resources to initiate the Family Medical Leave process.