How to Apply?

M.A. Counseling Admissions

I just completed my online application. Now what?

Your application will be processed by the Office of Graduate Studies who will then forward this information to the School of Counselor Education. When we receive your information at the School of Counselor Education, you will receive an email to please log into your Self Service Center to review your admission decision, along with your official acceptance letter, If admission has been given. You will also be able to receive a reminder of any remaining items needed for your completed application. This may take up to several weeks. As your first semester nears, you will be sent information instructing you about setting up your Grizzlies email, online registration for classes, lists of required textbooks, etc.

When is the deadline date for admissions?

  • Currently, there are no deadlines. Space is limited each semester, therefore, priority is given to complete applications submitted early. Please note that enrollment/admission may end before the aforementioned deadlines.
  • Our enrollment management system admits students per semester based on application completion date (the date all of your application materials are submitted and the application fee is paid).
  • The later you complete your application the greater the potential to be considered for a term later than you anticipated. The earlier the better!
  • Master of Arts in Counseling online cohorts begin every Fall and Spring semesters.

What are the requirements for an application?

Is there a letter or recommendation form?

Yes there is a form required:

Student Forms

Do you allow non-matriculated students to take classes from the Online Counselor Ed. Program?

No. We do not allow non-degree seeking students to take classes from our Online Graduate Counselor Ed. Program.

Where do I get information if I am a International Student?

International Students at Adams State

When does the next cohort start?

We are currently starting new cohorts every fall and spring.

What are labs exactly?

Counselor Education students are required to participate in 2 labs during their time in the program. Labs are tied to Prepracticum and Practicum courses and occur in person on the campus of Adams State University located in Alamosa, CO.

First-year students will be attending a Pre-Practicum Lab during their first semester in the program. The purpose of Pre-Practicum is to develop the skills necessary to engage in a counseling relationship or alliance.

Second-year students will attend their second lab during the semester they take Practicum. Students continue to build on their skills, working toward advanced skills.

When will I be required to attend Labs?

New Fall starting students will attend labs in October (1st semester) and March (2nd Semester).

New Spring students will attend labs in March (1st semester) and March (4th semester).

What about Housing during Labs?

There is housing available on campus and some reasonably priced motels nearby. This information will be included in the Labs bulletin.

What is the cost of classes?

Cost / Tuition to Attend Adams State University

How many credits are needed to complete the program and how long does it take to complete?

60 credit hours; 5 semesters for the fall cohorts, and 7 semesters for the spring cohorts.

Where can I find a list of the courses required to complete the program?

M.A. Degree Plan

Course descriptions are also posted at

Course descriptions

Are all courses online?

Almost all courses are online. We do require two one-week in-semester lab residencies (formerly known as intensives) on campus. The lab weeks are held on the Adams State campus, during the semester outlined in your plan of study. Attendance to these labs is mandatory.

Blackboard Information

How do I access my classes?

Once you have been accepted into the cohort, you will be issued your ID number and a token number from the Graduate School. A token ID is a temporary code used to set up your password. Using your user name and this password, you will access your classes through Blackboard on

Do you require the GRE or MAT for admission?

No, The MAT or GRE is no longer required for admissions into the program.

Do you accept a transfer of credits?

Requests for transfer of graduate level credits must be in writing and include transcripts plus the course syllabus you are asking to be considered for transfer. This can be sent to the Counselor Education Department along with a Petition for Approval for Transfer Credit and/or Petition for Substitution form found here:

Where do I do my internship?

You will do your practicum and internship locally in your community. Your supervisor will also be in your local community for weekly meetings.

On completion of the program, what degree is awarded?

Upon completion, you will have a M.A. in Counseling with either a Clinical Mental Health Counseling or School Counseling major.

What are the requirements to practice as a counselor in my state?

For Clinical Mental Health Counseling, check the American Counseling Association for your state’s requirements for Licensure & Certification.

For School Counselors, check The American School Counselor Association for your state requirements.

or contact your state’s Department of Education