How to Drop/Withdrawal from a Course

Course Adds/Drops/Withdrawals

Students can add and/or drop courses prior to the semester and up to the semester census date. After census, students can withdraw from courses up to the term deadline. Term deadlines are posted in the academic calendar.

Complete Drops /Withdrawals (All Courses in a Semester)

  • Complete drops and withdrawals, which is dropping or withdrawing from all courses in a semester, are requested online through the Student Web Services Account.
  • Any withdrawal requests after census date require the instructor, department chair, and Academic Affairs approval.
  • Please contact your advisor, Student Affairs or the Graduate School if you need assistance.


Please refer to the Academic Calendar for add/drop and withdrawal census deadlines. Summer term deadlines are not always shown; please contact the Records Office if unsure of a census date.

  • If a student drops a course or withdraws from the term prior to the start of the semester, there will be no record of this on the transcript. Contact the Records Office via phone or email to withdraw, if prior to start of the term.
  • If a student drops a course before the add/drop census date for that term, there will be no record of this on the transcript.
  • If a student tries to drop a course after the add/drop deadline but within the census date to withdraw, the course will show as a “W” grade on the transcript, but will not count towards earned credit hours or GPA. It will show on the student record as Attempted hours but not Earned hours.

Leaving without Notification

  • A student who leaves the University during the term without making arrangements to officially withdraw from that term, either through the Student Services Office or the Graduate School, will automatically receive a grade of “F” in all classes in which the student was enrolled.
  • Faculty/Staff members are not allowed to withdraw a student from the University or drop a student from a course.


By the act of registration, students automatically incur a financial obligation to Adams State University. To determine how dropping/withdrawing will affect your tuition and fees, please view our refund policy or contact our Business Office at 719-587-7728.

Financial Aid

Since Federal Student Aid (FSA), also known as Title IV funding, is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school or remain academically active in the same amount of credit hours for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded; dropping/withdrawing may affect your financial aid. To determine how dropping/withdrawing will affect your financial aid and/or loans contact Financial Aid at 719-587-7306.