Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: Are there situations in which a student’s education records may be released without his/her consent?

Yes, Adams State may release a student’s education records without his/her consent to:

  • Adams State University school officials who have legitimate educational interest
  • Other schools to which you are transferring
  • Persons or institutions requesting information in connection with financial aid status
  • Agencies conducting an audit or enforcing federal or state education programs or laws
  • Accrediting organizations
  • Parties requiring information to comply with judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena
  • Officials in a health or safety emergency
  • To Military recruiters with some limitations

Q: Can a student’s education records be released to his/her parents?

No, it is Adams State policy NOT to release any information to parents without written consent. You can provide consent by completing the following form:

Q: Can a student restrict the release of directory information?

Yes, by submitting a confidentiality form a student can restrict the release of directory information.

Q: Are there negative consequences to completing a confidentiality form?

Yes, potentially. Anyone who contacts ASU to verify attendance, graduation, degrees earned, etc., including prospective or future employers or schools, will not be able to obtain ANY information without written permission from the student. The form remains in effect until formally rescinded in writing by the student.

Q: Can a student permit the release of certain education records?

Yes, Adams State can release education records on a student’s behalf when a written consent is filed.

Q: If I’m a high school student taking college classes do my parents have the right to inspect and review my records?

When you began attending a postsecondary institution the right under FERPA transferred to you the student. However, when enrolled in both a high school and postsecondary institution, the two schools may exchange some of your information. If you are under 18, your parents still retain the rights under FERPA at the high school and may inspect and review any records sent by the postsecondary institution to the high school.

Q: What should I do if I feel my FERPA rights have been violated?

Contact the registrar at:

Belén García
Adams State University
Office of the Registrar
208 Edgemont Blvd. Suite 2110
Alamosa, CO 81101

Q: Where can I find further information?

Please contact the Office of the Registrar at 719-587-7322 or You can also visit the US Department of Education’s website