Financial Terms and Conditions
Thank you for registering for courses at Adams State University. The act of registering for courses signifies that you incur a financial obligation to the university.
Tuition and Fee Agreement and Disclosure
- I understand that when I register for any class at Adams State University (ASU), or receive any service from ASU, I accept full responsibility to pay all tuition, fees and other associated costs assessed as a result of my registration and/or receipt of services.
- I further understand and agree that my registration and acceptance of these terms constitutes a promissory note agreement (i.e., a financial obligation in the form of an educational loan as defined by the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, R.C. § 523 (a) (8)) in which ASU is providing me educational services, deferring some or all of my payments obligation for those services, and I promise to pay for all assessed tuition, fees and other associated costs by the published or assigned due date.
- If the semester has not yet begun, the student may contact any of the following offices to notify ASU of their intention to disenroll (process a complete drop for the semester): Office of Admissions, Office of Student Affairs, One Stop Student Services, Office of the Registrar, Office of Financial Aid, Office of Graduate Studies, or Housing Office of Housing and Residence Life.
- I understand and agree that if I drop or withdraw from some or all classes for which I register, I will be responsible for paying all or a portion of tuition and fees in accordance with the published tuition refund schedule on the Refund Policy for Complete Withdrawal page. I have read the terms and conditions of the published tuition refund schedule and understand those terms are incorporated herein by reference. I further understand that my failure to attend class or receive a bill does not absolve me of my financial responsibility as described above.
- This agreement supersedes all prior understandings, representations, negotiations, and correspondence between myself and ASU, constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the matters described, and shall not be modified or affected by any course or dealing or course of performance. This agreement may be modified by ASU if the modification is signed by me. Any modification is specifically limited to those policies and/or terms addressed in the modification.
- I agree to provide my Social Security number (SSN) or taxpayer identification number (TIN) to ASU upon request as required by Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations for Form 1098-T reporting purposes. If I fail to provide my SSN or TIN to ASU, I agree to pay any and all IRS fines assessed as a result of my missing SSN/TIN.
- I consent to receive my annual IRS Form 1098-T (Tuition Statement) electronically from ASU for all semesters where a 1098-T is issued. The 1098-T will also be available for review at the student account online, following the links: Student Services, Student Records and Tax Notifications. If I wish to opt out of electronic delivery of the 1098-T tax form, I must notify the Student Business Services office in writing.
- I understand and agree that if I am younger than the applicable age of majority when I execute this agreement the educational services provided by ASU are a necessity, and I am contractually obligated pursuant to the “doctrine of necessaries”.
- I understand that ASU is bound by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) which prohibits ASU from releasing any information from my education record without my written permission. Therefore, I understand that if I want ASU to share information from my education record with someone else, I must provide written permission by following the procedure outlined on the FERPA Information page. I further understand that I may revoke my permission at any time as instructed in the same procedure.
- If I decide to completely withdraw from ASU, I will follow the instructions on the Complete Withdrawal page.
I understand and agree that if I fail to pay my student account bill, or any monies due to owing ASU by the scheduled due date, ASU may:
- Place a financial hold on my student account, preventing future registration and/or transcripts or receiving my diploma.
- Drop me from future semesters due to unpaid current or prior semester balances.
- Be assessed late fees of $40 the first month and $10 per month thereafter until the account is paid in full.
- Refer my delinquent account to a collection agency. I further understand that I am responsible for paying the collection agency fee which may be based on a percentage at the maximum of 40% of my delinquent account, together with all costs and expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees, necessary for the collection of my delinquent account. Finally, I understand ASU reserves the right to report both positive and negative payment histories to credit-reporting agencies and may obtain a credit report at any time in the future to review my account.
In the event of a default of my account owed to ASU, the school may certify to the Colorado Department of Revenue information about me, including my name, social security number, the amount of the debt and any other identifying information required by the Department. The Department of Revenue may then disburse funds to the school in satisfaction of that debt from tax rebate amounts owed to me, if any. C.R.S. § 23-5-115. This agreement shall be interpreted in accordance with and pursuant to the laws of the state of Colorado.
- I understand ASU uses e-mail as an official method of communication with me, therefore I am responsible for reading the e-mails I receive from ASU on a timely basis.
- I authorize ASU and its agents and contractors to contact me at my current and any future cellular phone number(s), email address(es) or wireless device(s) regarding my delinquent student account(s)/loan(s), any other debt I owe to ASU, or to receive general information from ASU. I authorize ASU and its agents and contractors to use automated telephone dialing equipment, artificial or pre-recorded voice or text messages, and personal calls and emails, in their efforts to contact me. Furthermore, I understand that I may withdraw my consent to call my cellular phone by submitting my request in writing to ASU Student Business Services or in writing to the applicable contractor or agent contacting me on behalf of ASU.
- I understand and agree that I am responsible for keeping the ASU Registrar’s Office up to date with my current physical addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers by following the procedure on the Update Student Information page. The linked procedure is incorporated herein by reference. Upon leaving ASU for any reason, it is my responsibility to provide ASU with updated contact information for purposes of continued communication regarding any amounts that remain due and owing to ASU.
I understand that ASU uses electronic billing (e-bill) as its official billing method, and therefore I am responsible for viewing and paying my student account E-Bill by the scheduled due date. I further understand that failure to review my e-bill does not constitute a valid reason for not paying my bill on time. E-bill information is available on the E-Bill page.
- I understand that administrative, clerical or technical billing error(s) do not absolve me of my financial responsibility to pay the correct amount of tuition, fees, and other associated financial obligations assessed as a result of my registration at ASU.
- If a payment made to my student account is returned by the bank for any reason, I agree to repay the original amount of the payment plus a returned payment fee of $30.00. I understand that multiple returned payments and/or failure to comply with the terms of any payment plan agreement I sign with ASU may result in cancellation of my classes and/or suspension of my eligibility to register for future classes at ASU.
- I understand that aid described as “estimated” on my Financial Aid Award does not represent actual or guaranteed payment but is an estimate of the aid I may receive if I meet all requirements stipulated by that aid program.
- I understand that my Financial Aid Award is contingent upon my continued enrollment and attendance in each class upon which my financial aid eligibility was calculated. If I drop any class before completion, I understand that my financial aid eligibility may decrease and some or all financial aid awarded to me may be revoked.
- If some or all my financial aid is revoked because I dropped or failed to attend class, I agree to repay all revoked aid disbursed to my account which resulted in a credit balance refunded to me.
- I understand that any federal Title IV financial aid I receive, except for Federal or State Work Study wages, will first be applied to any outstanding balance on my account for tuition, fees, room and board. Title IV financial aid includes aid from the Pell Grant, Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Direct Loan, and/or PLUS Loan.
- I understand that all prizes, awards, scholarships, and grants awarded by ASU will be credited to my student account and applied toward any outstanding balance. I further understand that my receipt of a prize, award, scholarship, or grant is considered a financial resource according to Federal Title IV financial aid regulations and may therefore reduce my eligibility for other federal and/or state financial aid (e.g., loans, grants, work study) which, if already disbursed to my student account, must be reversed and returned to the aid source.
- I understand if I am eligible for Federal Student Aid during the current award year in excess of current institutional charges (tuition, fees, and room and board) and I incur any of the following charges, I authorize ASU to pay these charges using my credit balance.
- Parking tickets
- Emergency loans and processing fees/late charges
- Deferred payment plan fees
- Housing application fees or sanction fines
- Outstanding prior year institutional charges (tuition, fees, room and board)
Tuition window and Online courses
I understand that only on-campus undergraduate courses are eligible for the guaranteed tuition rate and tuition window. Distance/online courses have a different cost structure and could have additional charges.