• How will my credits from another institution transfer? Adams State University has articulation agreements with many of the four-year institutions in the state for general education transfer courses.
    Educator Preparation may require additional coursework for completion of approved programs upon evaluation of the transcript from another institution.
  • How do I apply to the Undergraduate Educator Preparation Program? The admission process takes an entire semester and includes two phases:
    -an application
    -the EPP admission interview
    Successful completion of both phases allows the student access to register for upper level education courses beginning the following semester.
    See Admission Requirements
  • Who is my advisor? Educator Preparation students pursuing the Elementary Education Degree with Elementary License have an advisor in Educator Preparation.
    Students pursuing secondary or K-12 licensure have an advisor in Educator Preparation and an advisor in the specific content area.
  • When should I attempt the Praxis II exam? Students should take and pass the appropriate Praxis II content area exam. Passing results need to be received by the department before the 7th week of the spring or fall semester prior to student teaching. The Colorado Department of Education does require a passing score prior to an initial teaching license being issued.
  • Where can I student teach? Students are commonly placed within the San Luis Valley. Students may also request placement outside the San Luis Valley within the State of Colorado. Placements outside the valley are contingent on finding a qualified mentor teacher and qualified field supervisor in the area requested.
  • How do I get licensed? How do I renew my license? Students completing a program in Education are eligible for initial licensure through the Colorado Department of Education. The Initial License is valid for three years and is renewable one time. Candidates must complete an approved Induction Program during the first year of teaching to allow them to apply for a Professional License through CDE. The Professional License is valid for five years and is renewable. Applications for Initial and Professional License and renewal forms can be obtained by visiting the CDE website at www.cde.state.co.us.

Looking for More Support in Becoming a Teacher?

Our friends at TEACH Colorado have free tools and resources to make applying to our program – and becoming a classroom teacher – easier! Create an account today and immediately access:

  • An interactive application checklist to keep you on track.
  • $100 fee reimbursement towards application and testing expenses.
  • 1-on-1 expert advice for any question along the way.
  • How-to guides for eligibility, applications, testing and finances.
  • A chance to win a $1,000 scholarship toward tuition.
Sign up for TEACH Colorado