- How will my credits from another institution transfer? Adams State University has articulation agreements with many of the four-year institutions in the state for general education transfer courses.
Teacher Education may require additional coursework for completion of approved programs upon evaluation of the transcript from another institution.
- How do I apply to the Undergraduate Teacher Education Program? The admission process takes an entire semester and includes three phases:
Successful completion of all three phases allows the student access to register for upper level education courses beginning the following semester.
See Admission Requirements
- Who is my advisor? Teacher Education students pursuing the Interdisciplinary Studies Degree with Elementary License have an advisor in Teacher Education.
Students pursuing secondary or K-12 licensure have an advisor in Teacher Education and an advisor in the specific content area.
- When should I attempt the Praxis II exam? Students should take and pass the appropriate Praxis II content area exam. Passing results need to be received by the Teacher Education Department before the 7th week of the spring or fall semester prior to student teaching. The Colorado Department of Education does require a passing score prior to an initial teaching license being issued.
- Where can I student teach? Students are commonly placed within the San Luis Valley. Students may also request placement outside the San Luis Valley within the State of Colorado. Placements outside the valley are contingent on finding a qualified mentor teacher and qualified field supervisor in the area requested.
- How do I get licensed? How do I renew my license? Students completing a program in Education are eligible for initial licensure through the Colorado Department of Education. The Initial License is valid for three years and is renewable one time.Candidates must complete an approved Induction Program during the first year of teaching to allow them to apply for a Professional License through CDE. The Professional License is valid for five years and is renewable.Applications for Initial and Professional License and renewal forms can be obtained by visiting the CDE website at www.cde.state.co.us.